Under dash panel removal - rd hardwire project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm working to add a tap-a-link in the fuse panel of front passenger footwell so I can also wire in a remote control for the radar detector to mount on dash. Tap-a-link is in but not tested. I'm struggling to spot a ground. My previous 2017 was much easier, but carpet up the firewall and under-dash pad are much more comprehensive on the new platform. Is there any trick to releasing the 'plugs' holding up the foam panel just forward of the dash face (black plastic round heads in pic - just below (forward) of the silver dash brackets). I fit my plastic removal tool around them and pulled down as hard as I was comfortable and they didn't budge. I don't even have 500 miles yet on my 22 SPP so a bit weary of snapping something. Any tips greatly appreciated.

IMG_6206.jpg

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have a '22, but there should be a suitable bolt to the right and/or behind the glove box.

Regarding those plastic pins, they typically just pull out with a little force. I use one of these. If you break one, they're cheap to replace. I actually bought a bunch from a Sears Hardware going out of business because even if I don't break them, I'm often unhappy with how loosely they fit the second time around.

OP
OP
m3olsen

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have a '22, but there should be a suitable bolt to the right and/or behind the glove box.

Regarding those plastic pins, they typically just pull out with a little force. I use one of these. If you break one, they're cheap to replace. I actually bought a bunch from a Sears Hardware going out of business because even if I don't break them, I'm often unhappy with how loosely they fit the second time around.
Thanks @ManUpOrShutUp . My removal tool is plastic so maybe I should try a metal one. I can take another look for a ground around the fuse panel but looked pretty tight in there!

OP
OP
m3olsen

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For anyone else in the future reading this chain, I have learned that the lighter plug (in the dash at least) has a timeout. It's longer than 30 minutes, but less than 3 hours. Maybe some night I'll experiment and check on it more frequently ;) But in the meantime, I've just been leaving my rd plugged in, knowing it shuts down eventually.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnjohn205