Under hood heat shield or insulation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dahammer

Reaction score
I just ordered a hood insulator and clips. They dropped the insulator way back in 2015 on my former expedition. I forgot the series that I owned. Or maybe the series only (Platinum) carries it because it costs more to purchase.

sldwys

Reaction score
2023 xlt, special edition package and 302a, built in June 23. No insulation or engine cover.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its clear that if your hood doesn't have this heat shield then the factory simply forgot to install it and quality inspector missed it. I dont know why ford would pick and choose who gets one and doesnt get one for cost cutting purposes

Based upon my experience, I do not think the Kentucky Truck Plant that builds the Expedition models have any quality inspectors.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Based upon my experience, I do not think the Kentucky Truck Plant that builds the Expedition models have any quality inspectors.

Factories like Ford as high tech and all items are barcoded and assigned to respective vehicles. Almost a 0% chance something was forgotten. If its not there its not there by choice. I had indicated in a earlier post i think they started in 2023 to put them on the HO engines and the more expensive packages maybe for sound and left them out on lower trims for cost reasons.

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had indicated in a earlier post i think they started in 2023 to put them on the HO engines and the more expensive packages maybe for sound and left them out on lower trims for cost reasons.
My Platinum's windshield has a 'sound shield' (or something like that) logo in the lower right corner; I'm wondering if the hood insulation is purely for sound abatement and only included on higher-end trims?

Dahammer

Reaction score
This past Monday, my parts ordered finally came in for hood insulation and 6 push clips. It took several months to arrive.
Cost about $110.00, more or less.

Install took about 8 mins. Here are the part numbers-IMG_2882.jpegIMG_2881.jpegIMG_2879.jpeg

jr1under

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Dahammer

Reaction score
i'm usually in the Gen 1 forum but this post caught my eye. If you want to aftermarket DIY it, this product has worked well for me.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KAD24RI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
My main concern was how the adhesive would hold up over time but it's been 18+ months now with no peeling. Does your hood's underside have any holes for retainer clips?
There are 6 pre-cut holes in the insulator. There are 3 tabs in the back of the insulator that you line up in the back part of the hood and insert into. Then, push up on the insulator and see the 6 holes in the hood—three on one side and 3 on the other. Then, take push pins and insert them into each hole.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1