Under Powered Rear Speakers on 2015 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdeshong

Reaction score
Got a 2015 XLT without navigation and have noticed the rear speakers have low volume compared to the fronts. I adjust the headunit fade from front to back and the front is getting like 75% more power. I thought they were just cheap speakers and I replaced them with some good rockford fosgates with no real improvement. Anyone else notice this?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Sony system in my 17 Limited EL and have no problems whatsoever. Maybe part of the amplifier went out. If it is still in warranty take to the dealer and let them check it.

Bigbadbull

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The stock non "Sony" systems are not so great in the 15-17's. Im betting less power and less speakers (6vs 11?) are the culprits.

Barjrob1972

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a '15 XLT and yes, the rears are underwhelming. It does seem like power is reduced. I thought I could just balance it out but the stock head unit does not allow that.
I'm okay with it. My tinnitus usually keeps me acoustically occupied on long trips anyway.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It sounds like the rear amplifier is down on power. Don't know if you have a separate amp on your year, or a built in head unit/ amp. Either way sounds like the amp is misbehaving. Let us know what you find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Expy EL and having the same issues - going in next week to have the dealer look at it. When I turn the fade to the rear - you can hardly hear it! When it is equal - I listed to the very back speakers.... there was hardly anything. Will post back when I hear what the dealer has to say.

Reaction score
Expy is still with dealer on the AC issue, but they told me that the sound in the speakers on my expy was 'as specified'. They said the fronts are mid/high, middle/second row is mids and back/third row is bass. We have a loaner explorer and it has speakers WAY BETTER. I can even hear music when I have the fade adjusted to between the front and second rows. I just can't believe the dealer is right as the expy has some speakers attached to the very back where the back door opens.. these should be mid/high, but hardly anything is coming out. The bass speaker is along the back driver side... Anyone else with this problem or thoughts? Is there any way to do a walk around speaker test? I thought there was in older expy's, but don't know now with the newer models. I want to try to figure out how to show the sound on similar models to see if I can prove there is something wrong with our expy.

Mikep01

Reaction score
I an honestly say with all the ford that I have owned ford radio even the good ones have a lot to be desired.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mike might well be right. I have not noticed any issues with mine but I do own a dosimeter and a '17 so if you can figure out what you are trying to compare, I'll be happy to do the comparison and video it.....I just think you would need far more than a sound level meter to see where the different frequencies are colliding&canceling or where the speakers aren't up to par.

jeff