Unselecting Selected Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhrogPilot

Reaction score
My apologies if there is already a thread on this but I couldn’t find one. I’ve become more and more annoyed with the towing feature that keeps track of trailer mileage. The poblem is that when I unhitch, it keeps tracking and adding to trailer miles even though no trailer is hooked up. My 2014 F-150 automatically went to “No Trailer Selected” as soon as I unhooked the 7 pin connector. Anyone know if there is a menu item I am missing that will automatically deselect the trailer when I unhitch? I know, I could have a placard on the dash to remind me but it seems that since Ford had this figured out in 2014 they could surely have retained that knowledge and used it in 2018.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your Expedition will automatically go to "No Trailer Selected", provided the Expedition is running when you unhook the 7-pin connector.

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your Expedition will automatically go to "No Trailer Selected", provided the Expedition is running when you unhook the 7-pin connector.

Just curious since I won't be towing again any time really soon to try it: does the engine have to be running for this to happen, or just have the ignition button set to "on" (green light on)?

OP
OP
PhrogPilot

PhrogPilot

Reaction score

Thank you - will try this next time I tow. Doesn’t seem a whole lot easier than going through the menus as either way I have to remember to do something - sure wish it was automatic like it used to be.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just curious since I won't be towing again any time really soon to try it: does the engine have to be running for this to happen, or just have the ignition button set to "on" (green light on)?
I don't know; I've never tried that. And auto stop/start is disabled with the drive mode set to tow/haul, so it's always running unless I turn it off...

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And auto stop/start is disabled with the drive mode set to tow/haul, so it's always running unless I turn it off...
It's also disabled anytime you're in Park. Hopefully you're not in a situation where you're unhitching while in gear. ;)