Update all versions of Ford Sync 3 to the latest Sync 3.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Federal safety guidelines that didn't think about a passenger that isn't driving being able to use the sync system...

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Never said it made sense...just stating the reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Discovered today while driving that when an album ends Sync will allow you to select a new artist/album from the USB drive as long as the album repeat button isn't selected. While it would be nice to select "New Search" while an album is playing, this is a doable workaround especially since you can skip to the end of the album with the steering wheel controls if needed. I'll likely revert back to the US region setting so that E911 will still be enabled.

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Updated to the version 20021 without issue. Downgraded back to 19200 and then reformat and install of 20021 wih new maps.

Last edited:

dutchd1

Reaction score
I've done searches around the internet and on this forum but can't seem to find a solution to an issue since I upgraded from SYNC 3.0 to latest 3.4 from cyanlabs. This is on a 2018 Expedition MAX Limited

I have the following issues with the display brightness and mode:
1. Display doesn't go into night mode when headlights are turned on. Not sure if it will work if light are set to "Auto" until it's dark. (Just upgraded today - just traded in my 2011 Expedition for the 2018 Friday)

2. Even if display is set to Auto, Day, or Night the setting for Brightness is greyed out. Even it's "Info" button is greyed out. So I am unable to change brightness levels. I can switch between day and night manually with no issue.

Any advice would be appreciated. Could this possibly be something that has to be fixed in APIM or APIM needs an update?

And my apologies if this has been covered before.

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've done searches around the internet and on this forum but can't seem to find a solution to an issue since I upgraded from SYNC 3.0 to latest 3.4 from cyanlabs. This is on a 2018 Expedition MAX Limited

1. Display doesn't go into night mode when headlights are turned on. Not sure if it will work if light are set to "Auto" until it's dark. (Just upgraded today - just traded in my 2011 Expedition for the 2018 Friday)

2. Even if display is set to Auto, Day, or Night the setting for Brightness is greyed out. Even it's "Info" button is greyed out. So I am unable to change brightness levels. I can switch between day and night manually with no issue.

Any advice would be appreciated. Could this possibly be something that has to be fixed in APIM or APIM needs an update?

No manual dim, but auto dims without issue when the headlights turn on automatically.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I'm sure Loki will be in here eventually to post his insight, but did you try doing a Master Reset?

dutchd1

Reaction score

So it looks like I may have answered my own question this AM. I should have been more patient yesterday and waited until night.

This appears to be the behavior for SYNC display brightness control:
- Manual display brightness adjustments are disabled when the vehicle detects it is "daytime" (e.g. Even when you turn headlights on during the day I noticed the dash cluster doesn't dim as the light sensor detects it is still day.

- As soon as it gets dark and headlights come on (either through auto mode or manual on) the manual display brightness control for SYNC becomes enabled. I also noticed that the dash cluster then dims when lights are on (whether through auto on or manual on)

Thanks for replies.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

dutchd1

Reaction score
I'm sure Loki will be in here eventually to post his insight, but did you try doing a Master Reset?
Yes. I actually did a Master reset twice. Once after the update and then again when I noticed this "feature." But I think it may be intended behavior? I replied to my own post a few minutes ago.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is correct.

Here is the scenario on the newer builds of 3.4.

Sync set in Auto, and it is bright outside: Regardless of headlight switches position, Sync and your dash will remain in daylight mode. You do not get the individual Brightness option in Sync, but it’s brightness is somewhat affected by the dash brightness buttons.

Sync set in Auto, and it is dark outside: If Headlight position is in any position other than off, Sync and your dash will enter Night mode. Both the master dash brightness AND the individual Sync brightness are in play. Think of the Sync brightness being adjusting one bulb, and the dash brightness as affecting the whole chandelier. If you dim the individual bulb, it will still lower with the master dimmer but start at a lower level in general. Or the opposite, you want the dash dimmer, but Sync brighter.

Also, remember you have different dash brightness setting for Day and Night. You have FAR more fine adjustment in Night mode.

As an example, I keep Day at full brightness so I can see if the sun is hitting wrong. I keep night at the 2nd or 3rd darkest level, to improve night sight. Generally I keep Syncs Night brightness setting at a about a quarter.

Hope that makes it clear as Mud!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nameisbry