Update on air susp problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife's 2000 EB with rear bags has been acting up. The air compressor has been louder and has also been coming on more frequently especially when driving. Occasionally, while at rest, the bags will deflate fairly low and even sometimes uneven side to side.

Today, I pulled out the compressor/dryer assembly (gotta pull the wiper reservoir first) and saw that there was play in the mounts. I went by a local stealership and they only have the whole compressor/dryer/mount assembly for over $500. At that point, I thought it was just the mounts wore out so I just walked out (not before getting a price on the rear height sensor).

I went to Lowe's and picked up some rubber washers and some regular metal washers to tighten up the mounts of the assembly. Now the compressor seems louder and I can feel the vibe of the compressor. So it looks like I need another compressor. grr...

I have yet to check or buy the height sensor.

We just dropped a pretty penny into the truck for an AC manifold hose and recharge last month. :mad:

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the costs to repair the system are nearing the $500 range, you may want to consider replacing the entire system with a non-air suspension system. I used to have a Lincoln Continental with some serious air-ride issues and was actually about to replace the entire system with Strutmaster components. I ended up selling the car, however, so I never replaced the suspension. Anyway, you may wish to check out www.strutmaster.com. Here is the link for the Expedition parts: http://www.strutmasters.com/catalog.php?cat=52

OP
OP
G

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a thought. We don't do any heavy duty towing to really need the air bags.

Thanks for the link.