URN (Unidentified Random Noise)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

eddiemoney

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fluids all look okay, nothing looks out of place...

As far as where...its very hard to place - It seems loudest in the second row

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A light throttle whine sounds like it could be the differential whining caused by excessive backlash in the gears.
I had this in an Explorer I had. Coasting had absolutely no noise, light throttle had the whine, esp at higher speeds (50-70), and getting on it produced no noise (or at least couldn't hear it over the engine).
Put your 2nd and 3rd row seats down and see if you can be more precise in the location. Wheel bearing is also a possibility, but the throttle position makes me believe it is the differential.

Are you still under warranty?

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

eddiemoney

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A light throttle whine sounds like it could be the differential whining caused by excessive backlash in the gears.
I had this in an Explorer I had. Coasting had absolutely no noise, light throttle had the whine, esp at higher speeds (50-70), and getting on it produced no noise (or at least couldn't hear it over the engine).
Put your 2nd and 3rd row seats down and see if you can be more precise in the location. Wheel bearing is also a possibility, but the throttle position makes me believe it is the differential.

Are you still under warranty?

Oh yes, still warranty (bought the 7 year because I don't trust Fords nearly as much as our Subaru :))....but I always get leery about taking in random noises to the dealer so they can't reproduce

PabloHoney

Reaction score
I just bought a 2008 XLT with 109k on the clock. Only thing I can find wrong with it is the same noise described on this thread. Only happens when coasting. Touch the gas and it goes away. eddiemoney, did you even find what was causing the noise on yours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

eddiemoney

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Negative, been living with it for 50k miles, several years, and dealers never being able to identify any causals. It happens almost everytime I get on the highway. Very discouraging.

OP
OP
E

eddiemoney

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a lot of outlay for something I can find everytime I drive it, but the dealer used 200 miles and a whole bunch of gas for nothing.....computer mechanics vs real ones is my guess. I have money on some sort of transmission issue, but its not broken...

mrford60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
take the tube off the throttle body and see if carbon is around the throttle blade. if so clean it out with carb cleaner and a swab. it could cause the wine