Used Platinum vs New XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckNuts

Reaction score
Shopping for 4th gens still, and finding new 2021 XLT’s with HD towing and 202a package to be the same price as used 2018-21 Platinums with around 30-40k miles.

Is the Platinum a better buy? You get LED lighting, nicer leather, quieter cabin, etc. A loaded XLT is a very nice rig as well, but not Platinum nice.

Is it worth losing some features but getting a new truck by going XLT? I’ve never bought a new vehicle, ever, so am I missing out?

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A new truck is nice since it has a warranty and you know what you are getting. When these thing break it can be pricey. ymmv

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drive them both to see which you prefer as a driver and the comfort between them, then make ur decisions. They will feel very different on the road.

Jerald Cook

Reaction score
I could have bought any trim level and I ended up with a XLT 202A, tow, FX4. Other than the mediocre stereo in the XLT, no regrets, so I'd personally go with a new XLT but it really depends what you're looking for.

OP
OP
T

TruckNuts

Reaction score
I go back and forth everyday. I’ve even expanded my search to 2015-2017 Expedition EL’s and eco boost F150’s.

The EL’s, in the Platinum trim, are $20k+ cheaper with similar miles, and the F150 are lighter/better MPEG’s with the aluminum body, and have all the same updates of the gen 4 expys. I could see throwing on a topper and being pretty content.

Iowan

Reaction score
40,000 less miles would be attractive to me, but I keep my vehicles longer than most so I also think about repairs on all the electronic junk down the road....

OP
OP
T

TruckNuts

Reaction score
40,000 less miles would be attractive to me, but I keep my vehicles longer than most so I also think about repairs on all the electronic junk down the road....
Whatever I get will be certified and extended warranty.