2020 vs 2022/23 xlt 202a and 2022/23limited stealth packages , HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeyb

Reaction score
Anyone prefer the looks of the running boards down all the time on the xlt vs the limited/platinum auto release when doors open? Or am I an anomaly? Also I like the 2018-21 interiors vs the 22-23 better too… I’m so torn between buying a low mileage 2020 xlt 202a high package with towing vs a 2023 limited stealth… decisions making me nuts but need to decide in the next week…. Getting a 15 year / 175,000miles Ford premium care bumper to bumper warranty so either route that not part of my equation for decision. I also like to 20” wheels for better comfort ride quality ( more sidewall )… basically why not buy a xlt 202a high package over a limited ? Am I missing something? Thanks

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would say get which one you want. Why not an xlt 202 as a my 23? But me personally, I'd get a 2023, even though many on here understandably complain about the issues they potentially could have. Atlwast your getting a vehicle that's a bit more up to date in terms on infotainment, and the limited will have a much better sound system than what the xlt provides. Also, I'm in the camp that believe the ccd with 22in wheels rides better than the base suspension on 20s. However, I would never get the base suspension with 22in wheels. The expy suspension in general is somewhat stiff and the body structure and frame isn't great on all 4th gens, the ccd to me helps soften the highway ride and one off impacts, though the base suspension is less harsh on city streets.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have power running boards and I prefer the fixed ones just because the power running boards require regular maintenance. (cleaning of hinges, lubricating hinges) and even with maint they will eventually needs a new motor which is another headache with the dealership.... I wouldnt go to a lesser tier vechicle just to have the fixed running boards though so I just deal with them

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's true the power running boards require maintenance and will eventually fail. However, I prefer the height of the power boards to the fixed board. The power board height is similar to pike a small stool and is mid way from floor to door. The fixed boards are more tucked to the door, requiring a higher step in and, atleast for me, more of an awkward step into the car. I have short legs though.

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Although I share the concerns about more moving parts to break and maintenance I now LOVE my folding running boards.

They are at a much better height (half way between the ground and the floor).

They are also large and more comfortable to stand on when working on the roof (I use a roof pod when I go camping). Besides being wider there is space to put the front of your foot through which enables you to stand comfortably for longer.

I am sold now.

Last edited:

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your all street and not in an area with a lot of winter salted roads which will rust out all the parts, then go with folding.
I like fixed because they catch rocks and other debris that shoots up the side of the vehicle.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m not sure why people dislike maintaining their vehicles. Moving parts need maintenance, if you can’t be bothered, get the non-moving option.
reliability wise, non moving options have a lot less than can potentially go wrong.

XeBeast

Reaction score
I would say drive them both.
Which one do you enjoy driving more?
The interior in both is a bit different. My wife didn't like the interior in the XLT loner we had, she loves our 304A Stealth Performance Package.
Don't get held up on running boards. I have the dealership do all my oil changes. So if any maintenance issues they don't inform me about is on them to fix.

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently sold my 2017 with 43,000 miles. Although I did have to "help" the running boards come back up occasionally, but they eventually began working properly on their own. I believe I cleaned them once, but I wouldn't swear to it.

They are on my '22 and I like them a lot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett