V8 idle fuel efficiency??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
better get a second job so you can afford the cost

But then again now you know what his expy uses but you still have no idea what yours uses You wont know unless you check your expy could be more or less.

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
better get a second job so you can afford the cost

But then again now you know what his expy uses but you still have no idea what yours uses You wont know unless you check your expy could be more or less.

Maybe it IS due to work that I sometimes need to wait around and kill time somewhere in the truck for a couple of hours??

And maybe YOU ought to get a part-time job or at least a hobby so you're not so bored in your retirement that you find yourself compulsively trolling online strangers young enough to be your grandkids???

Really.... one'd think you might know better by now...

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it bother you that I see through your BS Is it really that important that you had to ask someone to figure out how many gals per hour you waste sitting at Idle Or you just to lazy to figure it out yourself. Invest in a flow meter then you would know what your expy uses Not what someone else's expy uses

f150dave2002

Reaction score
dash photo 1.JPG A scan Gauge 2 is really useful... I recommend one for bored car owners of many types of vehicles... I did not get a chance to steal a look at my wife's Expy but here is a photo from 20k miles ago...

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it bother you that I see through your BS Is it really that important that you had to ask someone to figure out how many gals per hour you waste sitting at Idle Or you just to lazy to figure it out yourself. Invest in a flow meter then you would know what your expy uses Not what someone else's expy uses

Cuz the correct solution to a basic question that someone could surely answer (and did!) is OF COURSE to go buy **** I won't ever use again....

Like, duh.

Truly, with age comes wisdom.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A "typical" auto engine burns approx 1 gal per hour at idle....this would include any 4 cylinder through a V8. Note the "approx"....the 4cyl might be .85 gal while a 6L V8 might be 1.1 but both will be close.

It's a rule of thumb in the "Engine world" for the past 20 years and is still pretty accurate.............you might save 15 or 20 cents if you shut off the AC though since the compressor interlocks to raise the idle up to compensate for the load.

jeff

f150dave2002

Reaction score
28f5dd1c5c5c479f02991f386e9f3e37.jpg

Ah, this is where that thread went. So I was able to get into wife's Expy and take an updated picture. The GPH or gallons per hour is in the lower right of the scan gauge display. It was 72f outside according to the Expy climate display. So just under the 7 tenths of a gallon an hour. It's kinda nice to know the ball park figures in case you are stranded or stuck somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk