Valve cover bolt sheered off in head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed a little oil spot in the driveway after idling today and sourced it to the passenger side valve cover. I took my tiny ratchet to tighten the bolt and it sheared off in the head and now spins and comes out of its retainer. Taking the truck down to Florida and I don’t have time to fix until after so I will be adding quart after quart of oil on our trip down now that the leak is worse but oh well. What is the best plan of attack to fix this when I get back?

I recall this side is a bear I think I have to pull battery box and coolant lines to remove the cover. At this point I don’t know if it pulled the threads out of the head or sheared off because there are retainers in the cover itself that don’t let the bolt come out. Is extraction an option?

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it looks like the solution is to buy a second generation Expedition valve cover from a 2005 model year. The 2nd gens have more valve cover bolts and the head is still threaded for the extra fastener locations on the newer heads. Just an FYI if this happens to anyone else. This will add about 6 total bolts to the cover and no having to drill out the broken one just skip that one.

*Edit* so it appears those old valve covers with the extra fasteners are NLA. Back to the drawing boards.

Counting the days until I can trade this POS in on a 2018+ and never look back!!!!! We are getting close. This truck has been a nightmare and I want to watch it burn!!!! :mad::p:321:. That or watch it go in the crusher
:dogpile:

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
In this situation .. I would be pulling out the get out of jail free card and having a beer with my friends and telling them the ole Expy is just not up to the trip and one of them needs to pony up the transportation or worse comes to worse get a rental. I'm sure you know best. Just a thought.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What bolt is it that broke off? Sounds like it's one toward the rear ? Did the bolt head come out? Assuming the valve cover gasket is still intact can you spray the area with brake cleaner and squeeze some black RTV gasket maker silicone into the bolt hole to seal it up ? I know those 3V valve covers are a PITA. A new valve cover already comes with the new bolts already installed. But this might cut down on the leakage. Good luck.

https://www.autozone.com/sealants-g...AD:NL:1000000:GEN:71700000069889792&gclsrc=ds

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What bolt is it that broke off? Sounds like it's one toward the rear ? Did the bolt head come out? Assuming the valve cover gasket is still intact can you spray the area with brake cleaner and squeeze some black RTV gasket maker silicone into the bolt hole to seal it up ? I know those 3V valve covers are a PITA. A new valve cover already comes with the new bolts already installed. But this might cut down on the leakage. Good luck.

https://www.autozone.com/sealants-g...AD:NL:1000000:GEN:71700000069889792&gclsrc=ds

Middle bolt lower one yes they are a bear. Bolts are not removable on the 3 valves it’s stuck in the cover because they have little retainers. It’s not the best design.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In this situation .. I would be pulling out the get out of jail free card and having a beer with my friends and telling them the ole Expy is just not up to the trip and one of them needs to pony up the transportation or worse comes to worse get a rental. I'm sure you know best. Just a thought.

A valve cover leak really isn’t worrying me too much, it appears to be a drip every 10-15 minutes and the exhaust manifold burns it right off. It might use a quart going down and a quart back up. I may grab and take a company truck anyway, just didn’t want to drive an ox cart F-350 that far haha.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
You got a great route to Florida from Buffalo. Lot less traffic and more scenic than DC side. Through Pittsburgh, to West V (beautiful state) ..US19 Mountaineer Expressway. Charlotte eventually over to 95 in SC. If you had time quick stop to check out New River Bridge... incredible view of gorge from Visitor Center. Its possible to take old route down to the River and back up (under bridge) takes an extra hour but worth it. Just into SC (think it is) can buzz the Blue Ridge Parkway for another quick side trip which is worth doing. Easy route.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You got a great route to Florida from Buffalo. Lot less traffic and more scenic than DC side. Through Pittsburgh, to West V (beautiful state) ..US19 Mountaineer Expressway. Charlotte eventually over to 95 in SC. If you had time quick stop to check out New River Bridge... incredible view of gorge from Visitor Center. Its possible to take old route down to the River and back up (under bridge) takes an extra hour but worth it. Just into SC (think it is) can buzz the Blue Ridge Parkway for another quick side trip which is worth doing. Easy route.

Beautiful area in West Virginia. I have been whitewater rafting on the New and Gauley rivers with my family.

The bridge is incredible - and the stop at the visitor center is great.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bummer, man. Good luck on your trip down south. Whereabouts are you going?