Vehicle “Shivers”/Shudders” and RPMs pulse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FussyFrog

Reaction score
Howdy.

Just got our Expo back from 2 weeks at dealership to diagnose and repair weird issue. They were unable to reproduce the issue and therefore did not repair it.

Here’s what’s happening.

At all speeds our car will randomly “Shiver” and the RPMs will bump up about 500 or so.

-notice it more going uphill.
-doesn’t do it when I let off the gas.
-seems to do it more between 70-80mph, have observed at all speeds.
-check engine light is on.

Anyone encountered a similar issue? Ever find out what was wrong?

dcsang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did they return your vehicle with an active CEL and no diagnosis? Identifying those DTCs should be the first step in properly diagnosing your issue.

OP
OP
F

FussyFrog

Reaction score
Yes they did. Twice.

First time we brought it in was for the shuddering and a recall. After two weeks they didn’t diagnose the shuddering nor did they repair the recall.

They then called to ask us to bring it back in for the recall to be repaired and a same day diagnosis for the shuddering. Made no sense how they expected to diagnosis the issue in one day after they couldn’t do it with two weeks. So I brought it back.

Check engine light still on.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes they did. Twice.

First time we brought it in was for the shuddering and a recall. After two weeks they didn’t diagnose the shuddering nor did they repair the recall.

They then called to ask us to bring it back in for the recall to be repaired and a same day diagnosis for the shuddering. Made no sense how they expected to diagnosis the issue in one day after they couldn’t do it with two weeks. So I brought it back.

Check engine light still on.

Year and engine?

What code(s) were stored with the CEL?

What safety recall?

Reaction score
I agree with Dustin and Gary, torque converter shutter.

We have a 2016 and at steady state highway speeds, if we accelerated just slightly, it would feel like you were driving over rumble strips. Let off the gas and it would go away.

A few weeks ago, I added Shudder Fixx to the transmission. Took it on a test drive and as soon as I got to highway speeds, I could no longer replicate. It fixed it that quick. We have had absolutely zero shuttering since.

For such an inexpensive fix, it is worth a shot. Let us know if it works.

Last edited:

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Recommend you have a code scanner put on truck. Will pinpoint the problem area, a misfire can also cause your symptoms . Transmission guy I use for fluid changes strongly recommended against shutter fix or similar additives.

Reaction score
Recommend you have a code scanner put on truck. Will pinpoint the problem area, a misfire can also cause your symptoms . Transmission guy I use for fluid changes strongly recommended against shutter fix or similar additives.
What was his reasoning? I thought Shudder Fixx was simply a lubricant to reduce friction.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire