Vehicle break-in and oil change frequency

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stsysar

Reaction score
I recently got a 2023 Expedition Max with 700 miles on it now. I have been reading up about the engine break-in process and oil change frequency. Some sources recommend doing the first oil change at about 1000 miles or earlier and every 7500 miles thereafter. I have been babying this truck and want to do whatever I can to extend the life of the engine as I am planning to keep it for a while.
What is your thought on when to do the first oil change and the oil change frequency thereafter?
Cheers, Stan.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently got a 2023 Expedition Max with 700 miles on it now. I have been reading up about the engine break-in process and oil change frequency. Some sources recommend doing the first oil change at about 1000 miles or earlier and every 7500 miles thereafter. I have been babying this truck and want to do whatever I can to extend the life of the engine as I am planning to keep it for a while.
What is your thought on when to do the first oil change and the oil change frequency thereafter?
Cheers, Stan.
Id change it at 1000 and switch to FULL Synthetic and change it every 4000 w/ full synthetic for max protection if you plan to keep it forever. Thats what I do.

Others (on this board) will say stay with the synthetic blend oil and change it a at the 7500 mark but every Ford tech And independent mechanic I have asked recommends going full synthetic by every 4k miles. You shouldn't wait to go past 5k for sure with these ecoboosts.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cheers, Stan.

Lot of posts on this topic.
You can do an oil change early. Doesn’t hurt, typically anything in the 1500-2500 range is good to help flush out the new engine assembly residue. Not harmful, but good to get it out.

As for frequency, the oil life monitor in these is calibrated pretty well. It’s not just a “mile gauge” it takes into consideration a lot of environmental and driving characteristics. Go with the monitor. Depending how you drive it might suggest 5-7k miles or might go up to 8-9k.
As for full synthetic vs blended. Get a good oil that meets the manual’s certification requirements. Same for the filter.

OP
OP
S

Stsysar

Reaction score
New to the forum. Thank you for all your responses.

I like the idea to replace it at about 1k and 4-5k thereafter. I don't trust these oil life indicators. The indicator on my Audi requires changes every 10k - go figure....

Dworth

Reaction score
I would change now and then every 3500k after. It is $40 piece of mind. Additionally, I would do an oil analysis once per year and send a sample to Blackstone. If you like what you see, you can make adjustments with frequency.

gural

Reaction score
oil change - depands on Your type of driving
If You have a lot of city and short distance - you should change it more offen - like 5-6 k
If You drive a lot of highways and usually on long disnaces - you can change if every 8-9 k

checked in frends car with over 200 k milege