Vehicle break-in and oil change frequency

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would change now and then every 3500k after. It is $40 piece of mind. Additionally, I would do an oil analysis once per year and send a sample to Blackstone. If you like what you see, you can make adjustments with frequency.

Where are you getting a full synthetic oil change for $40?

Where can you even get the oil for that?

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I'm guessing the engineers at Ford are almost half as smart as those of us who post on forums and since they're close I tend to follow their recommendations. I recall one of my cars had a warning to NOT change the engine oil in a new engine until the first scheduled oil change. Big DO NOT note. And another had a note to NOT use full synthetic until the first scheduled oil change. But what do these guys know that we don't? :)

-- Chuck

gural

Reaction score
5 k - no way for me
during only 2 month in summer time i did over 10 k
this is the reason i wrote about the way of driving

the oil is good shape even after 5 k if for example i have to trip 4 k each with avarge speed 70/h

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I change when the oil % gets to 25% or so. Usually 6500-7500 miles. Send my results to blackstone and always in good shape. My cam phasers rattle but I don’t think the oil was the cause. Just crappy engineering. I have 110k on my 2018 and other than the rear end taking a crap out of warranty, a small coolant leak, and now the GPS/Bluetooth (another $1600 fix) it’s been relatively good to me.

$40 oil changes are attainable. Mobil 1 and good quality filter from Walmart.

Jerald Cook

Reaction score
Currently at 42k with a total of 5 oil changes. I did my 1st oil change around 5,000 and sent the oil off to Blackstone labs for an analysis. The numbers came back fine so I went around 7,000 next time and the numbers still looked good. 3rd oil change was 8,000 and still fine. My last 2 oil changes have been at 10,000 and Blackstone says I could extend that out even further based on the oil's TBN. As long as my vehicle is under warranty I'll keep changing it at 10,000 miles but it's nice knowing that I have some objective data that my oil still has life left in it, even at 10,000 miles.

I only use Mobile 1 5w-30 Extended Protection. I'm also pretty easy on my vehicle, light acceleration, and a higher percentage of highway miles.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad I own oil stocks with all you guys changing oil at 4000-5000 miles, especially with synthetic oil. I change mine at one year or 10,000 miles or when the oil life monitor gets down to 5 or 10%. I have 42,000 miles with zero issues, no leaks, no problems and NO cam phaser issues. I follow that book sitting in the glove box. Flame away!

gural

Reaction score
i got full synth for bigger oil intervals
maybe it is worth thinking when i would go on mineral oil.... but even on my Doge GC i go over 250 k, and i change it every 8-9 k and still on full synth

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm guessing the engineers at Ford are almost half as smart as those of us who post on forums and since they're close I tend to follow their recommendations. I recall one of my cars had a warning to NOT change the engine oil in a new engine until the first scheduled oil change. Big DO NOT note. And another had a note to NOT use full synthetic until the first scheduled oil change. But what do these guys know that we don't? :)

-- Chuck
As a retired Ford Engineer....I hate to blow your paradigm.....but, [the idiots in] marketing and service have more influence on those service intervals than anyone on this forum would be comfortable knowing.....as for oil type, change frequncy and filtration, there is way more good information in multiple places on this forum than in the manual or on the dash. My opinion is that more frequent changes in these vehicles is advisable due to the ridiculously small capacity oil filter, if nothing else.