vehicle knocking while idling, but otherwise runs great, ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zoldos

Reaction score
My check engine light has *not* flashed in months. I do however notice when idling, it knocks. But when I get going, it seems to run great.

Does anyone know what this means and how to fix it? I was going to use Seafoam, but I wanted to ask here first. Thanks!!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles on it ? What weight oil are you using ? Over 100k you should be using at least a 10w-30 maybe even a 10w-40 depending on climate.
Use Motorcraft oil filters too. ( Walmart ). Can you tell if it's a knock from the bottom end, or the top ?

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What you call a "knock" could be "tapping" to others. Could be a rocker, lifter or bearing. Could be a loose bracket hitting against something. Try to isolate it, does engine temp play a part? You have to do some diagnosis yourself so others can try to help.

OP
OP
zoldos

zoldos

Reaction score
How many miles on it ? What weight oil are you using ? Over 100k you should be using at least a 10w-30 maybe even a 10w-40 depending on climate.
Use Motorcraft oil filters too. ( Walmart ). Can you tell if it's a knock from the bottom end, or the top ?
I think it's the top. I use 5W-30 as specified on a sticker on the engine. What is the difference? Oh and it has 161k miles. :)

OP
OP
zoldos

zoldos

Reaction score
What you call a "knock" could be "tapping" to others. Could be a rocker, lifter or bearing. Could be a loose bracket hitting against something. Try to isolate it, does engine temp play a part? You have to do some diagnosis yourself so others can try to help.
Hmmm......it's not just a light tapping sound if that's what you mean. It "knocks" pretty hard. And it's only started doing it a few months ago. The engine temp is always below the mid point.

I don't know how to narrow it down. I don't know anything about trucks. :(

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmm......it's not just a light tapping sound if that's what you mean. It "knocks" pretty hard. And it's only started doing it a few months ago. The engine temp is always below the mid point.

I don't know how to narrow it down. I don't know anything about trucks. :(
Then you should take it to somebody you trust that knows what they are doing. If it is a hard knock at low rpm and goes away as you rev it, you could be in for a world of hurt. Try going to a heavier oil. Again find somebody who knows what they are doing. Folks here can give all kinds of thoughts that may or may not be correct, because coupled with the lack of info and how many parts could make the noise you'll be chasing your tail forever as well as throwing money around.

OP
OP
zoldos

zoldos

Reaction score
Then you should take it to somebody you trust that knows what they are doing. If it is a hard knock at low rpm and goes away as you rev it, you could be in for a world of hurt. Try going to a heavier oil. Again find somebody who knows what they are doing. Folks here can give all kinds of thoughts that may or may not be correct, because coupled with the lack of info and how many parts could make the noise you'll be chasing your tail forever as well as throwing money around.
Okay thanks! I will cut my use of it and take it to the shop....

mbtech2003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Being it say you need 5-30. That is what you use. Knocking at idle could be a number of things. If your oil pressure is low. It takes really low oil pressure to knock. If the oil pressure light isn’t on. With out putting a pressure gauge on it. You won’t know. As I think it is a 5psi pressure switch. They are known to have timing chain tensioners leak and cause the the chains to slap around breaking the guides. Is there a video you can post of it?

OP
OP
zoldos

zoldos

Reaction score
Being it say you need 5-30. That is what you use. Knocking at idle could be a number of things. If your oil pressure is low. It takes really low oil pressure to knock. If the oil pressure light isn’t on. With out putting a pressure gauge on it. You won’t know. As I think it is a 5psi pressure switch. They are known to have timing chain tensioners leak and cause the the chains to slap around breaking the guides. Is there a video you can post of it?
Something like this: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...dition?q=oil+pressure+gauge+(universal)&pos=1 ? If it's low, what do I do next? Take it to my mechanic?

They are known to have timing chain tensioners leak and cause the the chains to slap around breaking the guides
How do I check that?