Very high ambient temp on the display

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Bilal

Bilal

Reaction score
If the truck was parked in the sun on a hot day, a reading like that is normal. I have had temps up to ~160F after the truck sits in the sun for the afternoon.
Its always lower at start and going high in few minute.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bilal

Bilal

Reaction score
Curious, what was the actual ambient temperature when this displayed 73? Is it possible that the software was not making the conversion from f to c?
Its usually between 35-40 celcius now a days. At start its within this range and then goes up

OP
OP
Bilal

Bilal

Reaction score
On my 2015 Expedition, the ambient air sensor is mounted on the right (passenger) side, in front of the a/c condenser - attached to the upper portion of the radiator core support.

It is easily visible through the radiator grille, and could be easily changed in a minute or two by reaching through the grille opening. If you have large hands, you could easily remove the upper plastic radiator close out panel and reach down to access the sensor.
Is this where the the three holes are...?
The picture is from the right (passenger side)3d2465bc4dca18214d0ce49365c08093.jpg

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its usually between 35-40 celcius now a days. At start its within this range and then goes up

Could it have come loose and laying up against the radiator now ? If you don't run the motor in the morning and just turn the accessory power on does the display temperature stay about right ?

OP
OP
Bilal

Bilal

Reaction score
Could it have come loose and laying up against the radiator now ? If you don't run the motor in the morning and just turn the accessory power on does the display temperature stay about right ?
Yes correct, it has a history of frontal repair and i suspect was not done by the dealership, as another thing i found missing was the hood ajar switch.

So it might be misplaced...

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes correct, it has a history of frontal repair and i suspect was not done by the dealership, as another thing i found missing was the hood ajar switch.

So it might be misplaced...

Oh ok. The previous frontal repair info would've pointed us in the right direction earlier. Locate the sensor and remount it where it's supposed to go and away from the radiator and AC condenser's heat and you should be fine. Ideally they are mounted in front of the AC condenser so there is no generated heat interference. Mounting it there between the radiator and condenser will give you ( and the PCM...) inaccurate ambient temp readings.

Last edited:

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Climate control for the driver and passenger zones The display is showing the set cabin temperatures. If you notice in the top right corner of the display, there is another 17.5 in the glare.
OK but why do you have one temp in Fahrenheit and the other two in Celsius ?

OP
OP
Bilal

Bilal

Reaction score
OK but why do you have one temp in Fahrenheit and the other two in Celsius ?
All in in celcius, right and left are a/c front and back. Middle one is the external / ambient and this reading is off