Vibration in 2015 ecoboost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dnicholas47

Reaction score
I have a 2015 bought used. Currently has 80,000 miles. The engine shudders and vibrates at low RPM as if it’s starving for fuel. If you give it more gas it will solve the problem, but due to being in a neighborhood, for example, juicing it isn’t always feasible. While I have learned to live with it and downshift gears depending on the circumstance, it is still extremely annoying. However, when on the highway, it will intermittently vibrate as if you were driving over a rumble strip every 10-20 seconds. The RPM’s will increase with the rumble, and then go back to normal. Has anyone had similar issues, and if so is there a fix?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it’s misfiring, have the plugs been changed at any point? Any CEL? The other thing that comes to mind is the 6R75&80 transmissions have a known occasional “rumble strip” issue where the TC engages and then disengages rapidly, often changing the trans fluid and filter solves this.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I second the plugs and coil packs. If the plugs are original, I'd put money on them bring the source of your problem. This is something that affects the ecoboost pickups and does not always manifest with a check engine light. Plugs are pretty easy to do if you can pry the coil packs off. Replace with oem Ford (Motorcraft) plugs for best results.

OP
OP
D

dnicholas47

Reaction score
I bought it used back in February. I don’t believe that the plugs have been changed. I will try that and see if helps. I’m thinking to do the plugs, if that doesn’t work the coils, and if that doesnt work then then the fluid/filter? Or go in a different order? I’m afraid if I solve it and the problem comes back if I don’t go by process of elimination I won’t know how to fix it next time.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought it used back in February. I don’t believe that the plugs have been changed. I will try that and see if helps. I’m thinking to do the plugs, if that doesn’t work the coils, and if that doesnt work then then the fluid/filter? Or go in a different order? I’m afraid if I solve it and the problem comes back if I don’t go by process of elimination I won’t know how to fix it next time.

I bought a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4 x 4 - never wrecked or damaged.

I was experiencing a rough idle at cold start (hot or cold ambient temperatures). Sometimes it smoothed out after a warm up. I use top-tier fuel.

Recently, at 45,*** miles - I changed the original spark plugs and used the OEM Motorcraft plugs. I could not believe how burned and full of carbon the plugs were. The gap had opened significantly. I have never towed or hauled heavy cargo inside, despite having the HD towing package. The vehicle is not driven on short trips. Most of the driving is about 20 miles or more at 40 - 60 mph (rural county and state highways).

The idle is now smooth and no more roughness.

I do not understand how Ford can rate the spark plugs in the 3.5 Ecodboost engines for 100,000 miles - especially for anyone that tows.

OP
OP
D

dnicholas47

Reaction score
I have towed the boat this summer, but the problem was there before the summer. Mine doesn’t idle rough, but is an issue at low rpms when it probably should shift gears, but doesn’t. The rumble at highway speed is a head scratcher, but you guys have thankfully given me some things to look at.

Jkogrey82

Reaction score
Did you ever get this fix? I have the same issue. And engine vibration/growling only happens when I'm driving and my foot is barely on the gas. If I do light acceleration especially on a hil, then it almost feels like it is on too high of a gear. I can do it in highway too but similar conditions i.e. cruising and going on slight incline but it wont downshift automatically. I changed plugs but not cops. I installed passenger side catch can and still having issue. I'm down to either changing cops or drilling weep hole. I also bought a scanner with Mode 6 and only found 1 misfire driving 15 mins (but it probably did the issue like 5 times).

kwlorenz

Reaction score
Has this issue been resolved? I am having the exact same issue on my used 2015 Expedition. If so what was the resolution.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire