2015 Expedition EL - Shutter/vibrate at 45-80 mph during acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hapEcat

Reaction score

Chuck_A-19

I've been having the same thing that you have described. Local service department swore it was plugs. Plugs replaced @ ~40Kmi, condition still exists, and is progressively getting worse, since towing a trailer. The more you tow, the worse it gets. It's been going on since 28Kmi, and now has 73Kmi... Very annoying!
It is of my opinion that it is either the torque converter lock/unlock, or perhaps a shift module that cannot make up it's mind as to which gear it wants to be in. When these shutters happen, there is always an rpm fluctuation/increase, associated with the shutter, and also I can reproduce this shutter it at will. Ford turns a blind eye, to this problem, because no codes are thrown.
Folks, it ain't plugs, tire imbalance, crooked wiper blades, or barking dogs, it's a "transmission/transfer case/differential" running gear issue... But getting Ford to address it, is exhausting!

Last edited:
Reaction score
nope, I did a tuneup and had a Transmission flushed and the air control valve replaced...... Just got back from another trip yesterday and shuttered the entire time.....
Chuck,

It has been about a year since your last post. Any luck in finding a solution?

I have a 2016 Limited 4x2 that is exhibiting the exact same symptoms. At highway speeds, on a smooth road, when I slightly accelerate, the Expedition vibrates/rumbles like you are driving over rumble strips. The vibration is momentary. If I let off of the accelerator, it stops. It doesn’t appear to happen when I accelerate more aggressively, thus dropping from 6th gear to 5th or lower gear.

The Expedition has 103k miles, and never tows. It is the family car. We have six kids. I literally just finished replacing all the plugs and coils (and air filter). The plugs had about 30k miles on them and looked fine, from what I could tell. The coils were original.

I took it on a test drive and as soon as I settled into a steady highway speed, I was able to reproduce the rumble again. Same thing, smooth road, slight acceleration and it felt like momentarily driving over a rumble strip.

I am at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

@hapEcat

Knight95

Reaction score
Chuck,

It has been about a year since your last post. Any luck in finding a solution?

I have a 2016 Limited 4x2 that is exhibiting the exact same symptoms. At highway speeds, on a smooth road, when I slightly accelerate, the Expedition vibrates/rumbles like you are driving over rumble strips. The vibration is momentary. If I let off of the accelerator, it stops. It doesn’t appear to happen when I accelerate more aggressively, thus dropping from 6th gear to 5th or lower gear.

The Expedition has 103k miles, and never tows. It is the family car. We have six kids. I literally just finished replacing all the plugs and coils (and air filter). The plugs had about 30k miles on them and looked fine, from what I could tell. The coils were original.

I took it on a test drive and as soon as I settled into a steady highway speed, I was able to reproduce the rumble again. Same thing, smooth road, slight acceleration and it felt like momentarily driving over a rumble strip.

I am at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

@hapEcat
Since it’s been a month since you posted, did you find anything out about your expedition?

Reaction score
I had 2015 expedition limited 4x4 took me forever and many times back and forth to dealer to figure it out! Dumped tranny fluid and put in new filter. The transpan and gasket are reusable on this model so that fixed my issue. Never had another issue but I traded for 2019 fx4 this month!

Knight95

Reaction score
It was weird too cause it would always happen right at 45 mph.
Wow, thanks man, I’m going to have to try that. Sounds like the same problem as mine. I’m going to check for misfires first just to make sure but hopefully between the two it gets resolved