Vibration when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

My 2003Exp has a vibration or groan if you will, that seems to be coming from the front end. This happens when I acccelerate from a standstill into a right or left turn. Never when I go straight ahead. It's been in the shop 4 times for this. They rebuilt the differential. It helped for a short time and came back worse. Two weeks ago they said it needed friction modifier. That seemed to help but the vibration is still happening only not as bad. It's also worse in the warm weather than on cold days and doesn't happen until the vehicle has been drivn for a while. I also noticed a vibration in the engine this morning when I was idling that wasn't there before. Does anyone else have the front end or idling vibration?

OP
OP
G

Does it sound like a rattling metal up under the truck? My 1999 does this and the dealer cant replicate the noise. I guess I will just have to keep driving it like that.:mad: as they told me when i picked it up.

OP
OP
G

No, it actually feels like i'm running over a very rough surface and the steering wheel vibrates. Sometimes pretty violently. This only happens when I accelerate into a turn. The idling vibration just started happening. That's just your run of the mill annoyance. It's not that bad yet.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go to this thread in the "generalDiscussion" section:

Expedition Forum. A site for the Ford Expedition enthusiast > Ford Expedition > General Discussion > Rumbling Noise when turning

it could be the same issue.

OP
OP
G

I believe there is a TSB out in regards to this. It has something to do with the front axles and a missing spring. I have it as well and I'm taking mine in for the 2nd time. I will refer them to the TSB #. I wonder if all the chattering has done damage to something though. I suppose it wouldn't surface until the vehicle is out of warranty.

OP
OP
G

what he is experiencing is coming from the rear end posi clutches. It will feel like its in the front, but trust me, its in the rear. Thats why it was gone for a short time after they rebuilt the posi unit. Ive had 4 rear ends in my 2003 and so far the 4th hasnt started doing it yet, but all the other ones did after a thousand miles or so. Whats worse, is after the grunting started on mine, the particles that are ground out of the posi clutches are what i think caused my ring and pinion to start whining pretty loud.

Try to get the dealeship to put a whole axle in it, its easier for them to do than take it out, and tear it down to work on it. The whole center section comes out in about 30-40 minutes.

(i know because i put the first 2 in mine before i left the auto industry)

OP
OP
G

You were wight kidtriton, it was the rear limited slip diff. They told me I'm getting the latest update and an oil drain. Hope my 3.73 ring isn't worn out, but who cares, they'll just have to replace it under the ESP Premium care 75,000mile warranty if it is.