Vids on YouTube about the 5.4 Triton Make Me Want To Back Out of this Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smahaffy

Reaction score
I have a 2007 EL Limited with 236,000 miles on it. Religiously changed oil with only synthetic. Now HMS.
Only issue was transmission rebuilt because I assumed my mechanic changed out transmission fluid and he never did.
Its been a beast.

Adam T

Reaction score
I have a 2012 that I bought at 71K and it now has 141K on the 5.4 Triton. I have had no engine issues with it but did have to replace the oil pan gasket last week with several other gaskets while they were in there.. it cost a bit of money but considering it has 141K and I live in Phoenix (gets real hot here :) ) it think the engine has performed very well.. just like the others have said, try to find out if its had regular oil changes and tune ups and the 5.4 should stay strong for a long time.

StephenOsborne1

Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned not only frequent oil changes with 5w30, but also insist on a quality filter, Motorcraft preferred. These OHC engines need oil up top on startup and a quality filter will have an anti drain back valve, which maintains oil pressure in between starts, where most engine wear occurs.
To the OP, inspect what brand filter is installed. If you see orange, run....

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have an '07 & '09, best thing you can do when look at truck is perform a cold start and check for the start up rattle. That will tell you what you need to know. You can usually inspect the vehicle closely and tell whether it has been well maintained. Ask the owner how often he changed the oil and what filter he used. Use 5w-30 synthetic and use a motorcraft filter as others have stated. Have to agree with the internet postings can be problematic, this site has a lot of good info.

SREKS

Reaction score
My 2008 Limited has 235,000 miles on it cam phasers replaced at 190,000. No other major issues since I purchased it in 2011 with 75,000.

Herby

Reaction score
Currently have a 2007 Expedition with 216k miles that was purchased with 172k. As someone said on this thread, one of the main keys to keeping this engine running is frequent fluid changes. My engine oil is changed every 4k miles and my tranny fluid is changed every 25 to 30k. If the seller is meticulous and knows how to take care of a vehicle, he should have records to show. One looks at the vehicle's condition and maintenance records in an effort to reduce risk. However, let's face it, risk is there on the purchase of ANY used vehicle. You do your research, gather facts and go for it when comfortable. Would not hurt to have a mechanic look at the Expy also. One thing I would recommend, is to have enough cash on hand to handle cam phaser / timing chain repair job. This repair seems to be something that many on this site have come across as opposed to a full-blown engine replacement. Since my timing repair, I have had no issues and the engine has run flawlessly. Remember, just do your best to gather info to make the best choice possible. Good Luck!!!

Grizguy

Reaction score
I only got 257,000 miles out of my 2006 expy before I sold it .. Was running ok when I sold it. did not use any oil between oil changes.

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2010 with 229,000 miles i change oil every 5,000 with full synthetic 5w-30 Ford oil filters i get at Walmart for $4.00 , transmission changes between 25,000-30,000 I get the filter off Amazon $20.00 I also buy the transmission fluid from Walmart. Just normal maintenance items like shocks, brakes, spark plugs, tires. The truck runs really good just old. No problems at all.