VIN decoding & options/packages

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Matt,

First I would like to say Thank You. I think it's awesome that you take the time to do this for people. We are looking at Expeditions to purchase. IT is critical that it has the Premium (HD) Towing package. We are looking at one that we like, and the sales person said it was standard. I'm confused, as it has the 5-V (Class 4 hitch), but the 4 prong plug. Could you possibly run this VIN, please ? Also, can you provide where you are getting this info, just in case this only has standard package, the search will continue. We need to be able to tow 7700 lbs and hopefully just install the Electic Trailer brakes, by mounting and buying the plug in jumper.

1FMPU165X6LA06564

Sorry this Expy does NOT have the HD Tow Pkg.

All the 2nd and 3rd Gen Expys have the same Class IV hitch and at least the 4 prong plug standard. When opting for the HD Tow the actual hitch doesnt change.

Info is obtained from Fords site available to dealers and repair facilities. A password is needed for access.

Matt

the_smiths_30

Reaction score
Thanks Matt, it is VERY APPRECIATED.

Bummer, we really liked that one. If I'm reading all of these posts correctly, in order to get an EXP from standard to HD, it would require:

Larger Trans Cooler
Larger Radiator
9 prong plug
additional - Electronic Brakes

Thanks agin for your help, not to mention how quickly you did it. I was wondering if there's anything to look for to differentiate between the 2. This was a Special Service Unit. I've seen a few "XLT Premiums".... Just trying to avoid any unnecessary leg work :) Would the 9 (or 7) Prong plug be a sue sign it had the HD PAckage ?

In your OPINION, would you recommend towing a 7,700 lb GVWR Travel Trailer withthe standard tow package.

Last edited:

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Matt, it is VERY APPRECIATED.

Bummer, we really liked that one. If I'm reading all of these posts correctly, in order to get an EXP from standard to HD, it would require:

Larger Trans Cooler
Larger Radiator
9 prong plug
additional - Electronic Brakes

Thanks agin for your help, not to mention how quickly you did it. I was wondering if there's anything to look for to differentiate between the 2. This was a Special Service Unit. I've seen a few "XLT Premiums".... Just trying to avoid any unnecessary leg work :) Would the 9 (or 7) Prong plug be a sue sign it had the HD PAckage ?

In your OPINION, would you recommend towing a 7,700 lb GVWR Travel Trailer withthe standard tow package.

Your looking for a 7 prong plug in addition to the 4. Most SSV Expy's were for law enforcement and municipalities so they weren't optioned out with HD tow packages.

I think without the HD tow pkg you're tow rating is under 6000lbs so I would say NO.

If you find another one you're interested in just shoot me a PM and I will see what I can find out.

Matt

gigantapithic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Awesome,
Just found this thread - too bad it's not sticky'd in the towing section :)

I was trying to find out this info earlier and no dealer would give me an accurate answer or call back after I had asked the question. I have a class IV and a 7-PIN and a wire harness for a trailer brake. But am not savvy or knowledgeable enough to find the tranny cooler.

Would you be able to run my VIN? Would really appreciate it!

1FMPU18525LA77785

Unfortunately the Expy is at the shop as I just had it blow up on me this weekend and I think it's sounding like the broken fuel injectors that the warranty was extended to cover. Been driving it for two months and wondering if it's toast now :(

Thanks!

Last edited:

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score

There is more to towing than the weight rating. You might want to read up on how length plays in to it as well to be safe. Especially when you are talking RVs.