! Wanting to swap engine with a diesel moter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Declansdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I had a perfectly fine 5.4 I'd probably leave it alone. But for me I have not only the crappy 4.6, but one that's about to expire any day. I actually got a hit on a '92 120hp 4BT today. Which is really all I need to get this thing started, just gotta convince the wifey that it's a wise investment. Kinda hard with a 2 day old baby at the house.

Declansdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trans and transfer case would not be a direct bolt up.

I didn't think so. I see they make a 4wd t-19. Sounds like my transfer case won't work and I'd have to do a lot more work to make the t-19 work however I do like the simplicity of the t-19s manual operated transfer case.

I used my 4wd yesterday and it made quite the crunch when I took it back out of 4lo so I'm wondering if something is wrong with my TC anyways.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your local truck wrecking yards for a medium duty 7/9 speed eaton fuller trans. It will have the gear range that you need and you might be able to source a bellhousing for the 4BT. Should you find one it may not have syncros so you will have to double clutch or float the gears. Pay attention to the mounting also since there may not be a trans mount like the heavy duty truck trans.

I think I am going to follow this thread in hopes it goes somewhere. I already drive a truck with a 10 speed non syncro trans so if I did this it would already be second nature in driving :driver:

shadow460

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would the front suspension even hold the diesel engine up? One good speed bump and it's bye bye ball joints...

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would be better to swap in F250 super duty parts. There is about an extra 250lbs in the 4bt compared to the 5.4.

Even easier to buy an Excursion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik