Warning Chimes on 2011 Exp/EL not operating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JTexp11

Reaction score
I have owned a 2011 Expedition EL, with the XLT trim package, since it was new. The factory audio system includes Navigation with SYNC. This vehicle has been driven less than 50K miles and has been operating flawlessly, until about 3 months ago. The warning chime for the front cabin area no longer makes any sounds. Such sounds normally occurred, for example, when the headlights are left on or the key is in the ignition lock and the driver’s door is opened, when the turn signal lever is moved for right/left signaling, when the front seatbelt is not buckled and the car is moving, etc. Visual messages and lighting displayed on the instrument cluster, the audio system, navigation, actual turn signals, etc., all work perfectly.

My question, for anyone who has my XLT trim package with SYNC or who has specific knowledge about the matter, is this. Exactly what and where is the device that makes the related warning chime sound. My guess is that it could be one of three possibilities: 1) within the Instrument Cluster; 2) signals delivered through the SYNC audio system; or 3) a separate device plugged into the wiring harness and mounted somewhere behind the instrument panel. A definitive answer for my 2011 Expedition EL/XLT, from anyone with specific knowledge about this vehicle, would be greatly appreciated.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Send me your email address and I'll email you a PDF of that section of the service manual.

OP
OP
J

JTexp11

Reaction score
Thank you for your response to my question. It so happens that I have Ford's Shop Manual (Volumes 1 & 2 dated May/2011) as well as the Wiring Diagrams manual (also dated May/2011). If this is the same as your reference, perhaps you would prefer to send me the page number(s) that you feel would be helpful. My research of the Shop Manual 1, until now, seems to conclude that when all chimes are inoperative, one should replace the Instrument Cluster. As you know, this would be a very expensive first step. This was my reason for the question about what device actually creates the chime. Thanks again for your responding so quickly.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the older vehicles there was a separate module, but I believe it is integrated on the 2011, which is why the manual suggests replacing the IC. I wouldn't quite go that far, but instead would check the wiring. If I am incorrect, I am sure someone will chime in. :p

OP
OP
J

JTexp11

Reaction score
Thank for your help. As you say, the chime tones may have at some point been integrated from a dedicated device to the Instrument Cluster, and maybe even later to the vehicle's audio system.

I truly do not want to mislead this thread into a discussion about Ford's F150 vehicles. However, based only on my listening for the tones on other vehicles, I found that a 2010 F150, with the King Ranch trim and a THX Sony audio system, provides the warning chime from some device directly behind the Instrument Cluster (IC), maybe even the IC itself. However, a friend's 2017 F-150 STX trim model delivers its warning chime to the audio system--the sound comes from a speaker in the driver's door. I mention this about F-150s only to confirm your thoughts on the tones being integrated.

I personally know of no one who has a 2011 Expedition like mine. Confirming the source for the warning chimes may help me avoid a long and tedious task of wire tracing or an expensive, if not futile, path to replace the IC. This is my reason for reaching out to those of you on this Forum who may know the specifics for my vehicle. Again, thank you for your reply.

OP
OP
J

JTexp11

Reaction score
This post is to share how my problem was resolved. I removed the complete Instrument Cluster (IC) and found that the chime speaker is mounted/soldered onto the circuit board of the Instrument Cluster. I drove my Expedition to an odometer repair business in Dallas, removed the IC on their premises and asked the business owner to determine if the chime/speaker was working—it was not. They replaced the chime speaker on the IC, tested it, reinstalled the IC and, once again, everything works/sounds fine. At the time, a new IC no longer existed in Ford’s supply chain. A Ford dealer wanted $1,250 to address the faulty IC—probably to send it to a local odometer repair facility. The odometer repair business charged me $125. Thanks for everyone’s contributions.