Warning Sun Roof leaking -Ford says working as intended

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KetMalice

Reaction score
It wasn’t raining very hard in this video but there is a constant drip into the trough. In the driver seat I occasionally get splattered and in the back seat people get splattered. If the sunroof cover part isn’t rolled back it gets the cover wet.

I’ve had my Expedition almost 2 years now. I cleaned the troughs out recently and had black gunky organic matter and mold in there, and I just found the leak.

Took it to Ford, Ford says it’s working the way it should be. I’m in Oklahoma and we get very heavy winds. My expedition also sits outside under a breezeway.

But beware for other people that have asthma/allergies you may have mold growing up there or stuff festering, and water does stand in that trough.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is something plugged up. I'm in Florida on the east coast and it can rain like hell here with accompanying winds, yet mine does not leak. Whoever told you it is "working as it should" is playing with himself.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually sunroofs are not "sealed", there should be drains in the corners of the trough and they might be blocked with stuff. If you can blow them out from the tubing below the chassis it would be best, but then grime might get sprayed into the interior. Try poking with wire in the corners above and then fill trough with some water and DAWN . When it runs freely out the bottom of the car your are fixed.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ask/tell ford to clear the drain tubes for the sunroof. Its BS that they didnt think to try this for you proactively when it was in.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
they want you to replace the headliner at probably $2k+. Agree with the others, it's probably clogged, especially if you found organic matter in the trough. Some simple green can work well on that too, but it's a good degreaser so you don't want to get it on the track itself much. They should have blown it out, you can do that with a compressed air extension with a small angle tube, but it needs to be super low pressure or it could blow the tubes off. Like 5psi or less.

OP
OP
K

KetMalice

Reaction score
Ask/tell ford to clear the drain tubes for the sunroof. Its BS that they didnt think to try this for you proactively when it was in.
Oh don’t worry they still have it. Getting my second transmission replacement with 31.5k miles. The transfer case is being replaced too but it’s on back order. Basically they are going to have it for several more weeks lol

khammer

Reaction score
My SIL's expy was dripping water from the OH console area. The dealership used compressed air to "clear" the drains, noted the tracks were draining, and complaint fixed.

The interior leak moved to A pillar. After I took a look I determined when they blew the air, it disconnected the tube causing the drip in A pillar, and passenger floor board filling with water. I reattached and ran a string trimmer line down the drain, and jammed up. Further investigation I found the drain tube was turned up and kinking in the cavity being the front tire. Once I unfolded it and turned it down, it was clear and drained fine. Works as designed now.

Now as for how the drain line became kinked and turned up??? No telling.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How is ford not even able to deliver a sealed the sunroof?
So, the sunroof’s are not sealed. They are designed for some leakage. The reason you don’t see any of the water that gets through is because of the drainage system that surrounds the sunroof enclosure. However, if any trash gets into the tracks, or drain tubes, it has no other place to go. At which point it will fill up the drainage path until it starts to flow over onto your headliner. Or, it could end up leaking down at the corners of your windshield.

A few years ago I cleaned out the drainage path on my ‘04 Expedition. A family member was the previous owner… they had a lot of trees in their yard. There were leaves, small twigs, etc in the track. Once I cleaned the tracks out I used lower pressure on my compressor to blow out the drainage tubes. Haven’t had any more problems that I know of (gave the truck to my daughter).

Yeah, you would think that system was sealed tight. I did. Until I read that it wasn’t. Once I read that more and more resources were popping up to confirm it. Oh well… what are you gonna do? What can you do?

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My SIL's expy was dripping water from the OH console area. The dealership used compressed air to "clear" the drains, noted the tracks were draining, and complaint fixed.

The interior leak moved to A pillar. After I took a look I determined when they blew the air, it disconnected the tube causing the drip in A pillar, and passenger floor board filling with water. I reattached and ran a string trimmer line down the drain, and jammed up. Further investigation I found the drain tube was turned up and kinking in the cavity being the front tire. Once I unfolded it and turned it down, it was clear and drained fine. Works as designed now.

Now as for how the drain line became kinked and turned up??? No telling.
exactly my point on the compressed air, they are often held together with either rubber bands or even in some cases things like zip ties. to much pressure in those lines and they will come apart from their couplers etc. I wouldn't do anything more than maybe 5 PSI, like maybe use a small can of compressed air. I really like this idea of using the string trimmer line, it's pretty sturdy inside of a pvc tube.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani