Weak air conditioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm also in the PNW and, in my opinion, we need rear A/C going to keep these trucks cool even on not-so-hot days. The huge amount of glass generates tremendous solar heat gain (even with the rears tinted). If your truck is dark in color it's even worse.

Also, it seems to me at least that it's pretty normal with many late-model vehicles for the A/C not to cool quite as well at idle. It takes some RPMs to get the compressor really going. We used to have a 2016 Explorer and when you first started it on a hot day, the A/C blew hot air out the vents until you put it in gear and started moving. The days of ice-cold A/C even while idling seem to be long gone. . .

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How well the system cools at idle is dependent on the amount of refrigerant in the system, adequate airflow through the condenser and hi & low side pressures.

We recharge to slightly less than the recommended amount then add as necessary to bring the low side pressure to @33-35 psi with ambient temp usually in the low 90's. High side is usually 210—220.

Some will argue that the system may be slightly low - some will be. But the lower pressures are easier on the compressor, you don't have to worry about flooding the accumulator and it gets cold fast.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but the newer refrigerants just don't seem nearly as effective as the old-school R12. I used to live down South where we *really* needed ice cold air in such a hot and humid environment. I still remember switching to R134a in 1994 and the performance wasn't as good. The A/C in the 2009+ Expy's and Explorers we've owned (several of which were brand new when we bought them) seem to perform even less well than the Fords we used to drive back in the '90s.

Lyndon Taman

Reaction score
Hey guys, from central Canada here and we're always blasted with 30°C - 35°C (86°F +) consistently. I've noticed that my 08 Eddie Bauer doesn't cool nearly as much as you'd think it should. I checked the pressures and the weight and they seem fine. I did notice my rad fan doing something funny. Seems like it would show down and then pick up again but the engine wouldn't big at all.
How can I check my rad fan to see if it's pulling enough air through the rad? (I couldn't find a thread on this).
Also without pulling the shroud apart where is the condenser, in front or behind the rad?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve always had the same experience as most of you here. They take time to cool down and are weaker at idle (if you have it charged to factory specs) if you take a bit out they perform somewhat better but when I replaced my components I weighed in the charge exact to the sticker.

Lyndon Taman

Reaction score
I have a buddy who's helping me and he's done a few a/c jobs for John Deere but we're unsure as to why the high side gets so hot it's barely touchable.
Any ideas?
We tested at idle in a shop with little to no air flow and A/C set to MAX.

Last edited: