Weight Distribution Hitch needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve recently picked up a 23’ travel trailer. Trailer dry weight is 3700lbs and she’ll probably come in at 4700lbs when loaded. So not a heavy trailer, but I wanted to know whether a weight distribution hitch is something you’d recommend. We plan to take our 4 kids from NY to AZ and back over the course of a month or so.

I know Ford has a built in “sway control”. I just don’t have any experience with it. How well it works and whether getting a WDH would help it more or conflict with its job to keep the trailer happy.

I’ve seen some ugly videos of trailer sways gone wrong and I’d certainly not want to be in those towing vehicles with our kids.

I have some experience towing lighter loads over the years but not something this large and heavy.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would highly recommend one. It was eye opening for me the first time using one, just like the first time I used trailer brakes.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We plan to take our 4 kids from NY to AZ...

I would if I were you. A good weight distribution hitch makes a world of difference for the IRS and squat that comes with it.

You were asking about a brake controller on another thread. That one is mandatory for control/safety with any trailer with brakes that can be controlled by it...

FWIW, I haven't noticed any of the stability/anti sway features activate on my miles towing yet, but, maybe they don't because I'm driving pretty conservatively with the camper (or maybe they are that good, doubt it).

Enjoy and good luck with it...

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Steering will be much more solid with a WDH properly set up. Sometimes one can find a WDH on Craigslist if lucky....

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know Ford has a built in “sway control”. I just don’t have any experience with it. How well it works and whether getting a WDH would help it more or conflict with its job to keep the trailer happy.
The built in "sway control" is a bit of a misnomer. It's really automatic emergency sway recovery. It uses the rear parking sensors to monitor the distance between the rear bumper of the truck and the trailer. When it detects "large" differences (big changes?) in the distance between the two on the left side vs the right side, the system will activate to safely RECOVER the trailer: apply the trailer brakes (but not the vehicle brakes), get the two vehicles back into alignment and then slow down. It does absolutely nothing to prevent sway from happening. It's just there to do what the drivers in those videos should have done once they found themselves in a potentially dangerous situation. The sway control features on WDHs all attempt to keep the trailer from swaying in the first place. Oh, and the best way to keep a trailer from swaying is to load it properly.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The built in "sway control" is a bit of a misnomer. It's really automatic emergency sway recovery. It uses the rear parking sensors to monitor the distance between the rear bumper of the truck and the trailer. When it detects "large" differences (big changes?) in the distance between the two on the left side vs the right side, the system will activate to safely RECOVER the trailer: apply the trailer brakes (but not the vehicle brakes), get the two vehicles back into alignment and then slow down. It does absolutely nothing to prevent sway from happening. It's just there to do what the drivers in those videos should have done once they found themselves in a potentially dangerous situation.

Huh... So, pay attention while driving w/trailer and if sway starts and you don't notice (to take action to manually activate trailer brakes) then truck will do it for you...

This assumes you have the factory towing pkg and other necessary hardware/sensors, correct?

Good info there Shane, thanks. Where did you find it?

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Huh... So, pay attention while driving w/trailer and if sway starts and you don't notice (to take action to manually activate trailer brakes) then truck will do it for you...

This assumes you have the factory towing pkg and other necessary hardware/sensors, correct?

Good info there Shane, thanks. Where did you find it?
My 2018 brochure says the trailer sway control thing is standard on all Expeditions.

Here's Ford’s you tube video:

There’s also a short explainer in the owners manual...

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely get weight distribution. It will be safer and more enjoyable to drive. You also won’t have to worry about it if you upgrade to a larger trailer someday.