Weight Distribution Hitch needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fred Moore

Reaction score
I am very pleased with the performance of my Reese Straight-line WDH with anti-sway control. While I drive with the Ford feature active, I don’t depend on it a bit. I load the trailer carefully, drive intelligently, and know I have equipped my towing set-up the best I can. Sure makes towing less stressful.

Highly recommend a WDH hitch.

Thanks to all who have served this country. We honor you with this day.

PhrogPilot

Reaction score
Another vote of “Yes” for the WDH. We have a trailer similar to the OP - 21 feet and 4500lbs when fully loaded. When we hook up there is a little bit of sag in the back (rise in the front). If nothing else, the WDH will keep our headlights from blinding oncoming drivers because it levels everything back out. We have a Reese 66151 which has integrated sway control - trailer is always rock solid behind us although we only go up to 62-63 mph when towing so not likely to sway at that speed.

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are there any issues with backing up while equipped with WDH? I see different types listed on etrailer.com. Some disallow backing up. I only ask because my driveway is an upslope turn with landscaping on the edges. I was able to back it up with some help, but am curious whether WDH restricts backing turns, etc.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are there any issues with backing up while equipped with WDH? I see different types listed on etrailer.com. Some disallow backing up. I only ask because my driveway is an upslope turn with landscaping on the edges. I was able to back it up with some help, but am curious whether WDH restricts backing turns, etc.
Usually you have to disable the sway control part or disconnect the bars...

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've used 2 different kinds and never had restrictions on backing up. Currently use Blue Ox. Don't buy anything that has that restriction, it will be a big pain!
I agree, enough ******** around getting a WDH connected to run with let alone having to get out and **** around with it if you need to back up/maneuver. No thanks!

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the Reese and have no issues backing. I honestly am not sure what sort of WDH would not allow for backing up? I have used Blue Ox, Equal-i-zer, and Reese and they all are fine backing up. The blue ox that I used didn't have sway control, it was just WDH. The other two both are friction based sway control and didn't have issues backing.

Wnomis

Reaction score
I have been under the impression that all expys 18 and up have the “towing package” but that doesn’t mean squat besides it has a hitch. I ordered and installed the factory trailer brake controller myself (took about an hour) but took it to the dealer to get it programmed. Now I can tow the 6k (My camper is only 3100 dry) safely without the heavy duty tow package I wish I had....... I believe the expys have a 600# tounge weight allotment but would definitely get the WDH for traveling across the county with 4 kids in the back just for the safety of it. Safer is better.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sway control is simply stability control that limits your inputs so you don’t make it worse.

The only response to sway is to slow down ASAP!! Trailer brake application will slow you and pull the rig into a straight line however!!! This only reduces or stops sway if you slow enough to get trailer stability high enough to stop sway.

Sway is a stability factor which can be impacted by wind, speed, tire pressures and yes trailer loading ie weight forward vs behind the axle.

Trailer brake will only buy you minimal recovery especially if the sway and cause are severe enough to pose a serious problem.

Vehicle anti sway system is basically standard in all modern cats an trucks it simply cuts power and works to slow the vehicle it does nothing to a trailer with sway issues simply shuts you down and prevents you from doing the rookie speed up or maintained speed instead of slowing down ASAP then inspecting the trailer to add stability or fix the cause of instability etc.