Weight distribution hitches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SigepKat

Reaction score
I've got a 16 Expedition EL 4x4 WITHOUT a towing package. I'm getting ready to add a 5k travel trailer to my collection of toys. I've got everything sorted out as far as the brake controller and 7 pin trailer connection go (I think), but I know nothing about WDHs...Can anyone school me? I THINK I I'm on the cusp of needing one, but would love some feedback.

CM

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the Equalizer WDH and have had no issues in 4 years of towing. I only tow 3-4 times a year but have been in heavy winds and it tows great with this setup. I had the RV dealer do the setup but it is not hard to do yourself.

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have an Equalizer WDH - using it for about 5 1/2 years. Easy to self-install and very solid down the highway. Initially I bought the Reese setup however parts were missing and the threads for the bolt holes were messed up (a common complaint). The only thing you'll need to do is spray a little silicon where the bars rub. Otherwise it'll make a bit of noise (clunk) when you go around a corner. I ordered mine through Amazon.

I strongly recommend you install the auxiliary transmission cooler. Towing our 3,500 lb trailer during the summer would see transmission temperatures rising up to 238 degrees when climbing steep twisty roads when it was 98-103 degrees outside. After the tranny cooler - highest I ever see is 208.

Old Guy

Reaction score
I have a gen 2 Expy, rated at 1000# equalizer tongue wt, and 500 w/o eq. I tow a boat and trailer at 8000# and 600 tongue wt, and have a Reese eq it system. No problkemsw, and moreover, the ride is a lot smoother.
Have you checked the Ford manual to see what the non-package tow weights are? And what tongue weights are allowed, both eq and not?
Just sayin'

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve been using an Andersen WDH/Antisway system for 7+ years. It’ll handle up to 14,000 lbs of trailer and 1400 lbs of tongue weight. Driven in all kinds of conditions and it’s a solid ride. Very easy to put on and take off. Great customer service.

test testor

Reaction score
Having used equalizer hitches for almost 60 years, the Equal-i-zer 4 Point Sway Control Hitch is the most stable I have ever used. To give an example this past winter I was pulling my 25 foot dual axle camper down a mountain in Alabama when there was a total lug failure on the trailer (completely lost driver's side rear wheel) while driving down a mountain through the curves at 70 mph. The properly setup hitch held the trailer and gen 3 Expedition solid until I could pull off at next ramp. I never pull any of my trailers without the setup installed. I have pulled loads exceeding 9,000 lbs with full controll in heavy crosswinds (50+) for hours with my Expeditions. I would not recommend pulling such heavy loads but emergencies are emergencies and never felt sway or control issues.

SaintJ

Reaction score
Help Please.

I have a 2016 Expedition with HD tow package. Hauling an Imagine 2600RB. It came with a Blue Ox Sway Pro and it does not seem to distribute weight well. I've moved things around and at Cat Scale, the best I can seem to get is 2850 (steer) 4400 (drive) 6220 (trailer). That is with moving as much weight as I can to the rear of the trailer which makes me nervous. I need to shift weight from drive to steer axle. Is there a better wdh? Thanks for any advice!

James

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are BlueOx setup videos on YouTube. Need to make sure the ball height and angle are correct and that the frame brackets are positioned correctly. Set the hitch up as though it's a new install. Don't assume anything is correct for your tow configuration.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Blue Ox is one of the best. Recheck installation measurements as JasonH suggests.