Weird A/C issue on 2019 Platnium w 56k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drewcalli27

Reaction score
We have a 2019 Expy Platinum w 56k. Love the truck but we started having A/C issues at the end of the summer. Dealership looked at it and stated that we were low on Freon. They were able to add the Dye to the system and recharge it. The A/C worked for about three weeks and then stopped again. We took it back to the dealership and now they are saying it could be the rear ($3k fix)or front ($5k fix) evaporator. They were unable to determine which one it might be until the truck is all apart. That’s a ton of money to pay for them not be 100% sure that’s is the issue.

I’ve searched the forums but I’m not finding my exact issue.

I’ve had a second mechanic look at it and he cannot see a visual a leak in the system either

Just wondering if anyone has some insight on this or have experienced a similar issue. We do not have a Ford warranty but wish I did!! Obviously need to get this fixed before summer

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the exact issue? Is the compressor not engaging? Engaging but blowing warm air?

My 2019 Platinum Max had a weird Vinegar smell at times but the AC worked like a champ for 3 years.

Most AC issues are fairly simple to diagnose. Post some details and we'll go from there.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I find it odd that the dealership can “fix” an issue, then charge you for it. But, if it doesn’t work they want to charge you again for the guesswork. That’s BS!!! Sounds to me like they owe you…

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like another dealer is needed or just contact HQ and ask why your dealer isn’t able to fix your AC.

How old is the battery? My 19 got all weird when the battery started getting weak last summer. Possible the high speed fan doesn’t kick on due to bad battery power and the condenser isn’t cooling down. Had a similar issue with my Sequoia only it was a cracked fan shroud causing air flow issues and the condenser wasn’t getting cooling.

As mentioned above AC is generally pretty easy to fix. If its not leaking which is easy to sort out then it can be something like fan not working correctly, etc.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Find a real mechanic. He will be able to charge it with nitrogen like these fools should be able to. If it’s real bad you’ll just hear it. Can use a sniffer tool if it’s not obvious.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
I have the same vehicle and had an AC issue this summer as well. Refilled and dye in place but it is still cold. I read the evaporators are a common culprit. The one in the front dash is what I recall. I was imagining the evaporator wasn't easily accessible thus the lack of finding a leak without tearing into it. With it being warrantied, I would be fine having them do that work. Out of pocket I would be less likely. I paid the charge for the refill but now it is warrantied through their parts warranty and shouldn't have to pay again to have it refilled if it leaks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire