Weird clicking noise when first started in morning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69Rustang

Reaction score
Our 2017 Limited started to make a weird clicking noise when first started. It seems to come from the right rear quarter panel area and clicks for about 30 seconds, then stops and doesn‘t occur again until the next day. Any idea where to start looking?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the rear heater actuator motor. It moves the flap that adjusts heat temperature or top/bottom exit. You can snap out the tray in the inside quarter panel to locate the source and confirm that it's the problem. The internal plastic gear strips and makes that click-click noise trying to adjust. Last time I bought one it was $30.

Very common problem.

OP
OP
69Rustang

69Rustang

Reaction score
Is there a testing procedure for this actuator? The clicking we have is intermittent, some days it does it at start up, some days after shut down, some days not at all. I opened up the quarter trim and located the actuator in question, but want to be sure this is the problem Before throwing parts at it. I also saw an image of a HVAC unit that I think is from a quarter panel area that has 2 actuators. I only see one visible through the opening. Thanks for any help/advice!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Put your head in the quarter panel while someone turns on the car. Hold onto the actuator and see if you feel the clicks.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Was going to say it could be your cam phasers as that's a known issue with 2017s and up, but that may not be the issue due to you saying it sounds like it's coming from the side.