Weird starting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaverikDS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my 01 5.4 I have been having a weird start the last few days. Each time I start it cold, it hesitates and then starts but resets all of the guages. What I mean by that is all of the guages go all the way to the right (as in full tank of gas, max mph, max rpm, etc..) and then back down all the way before settling at the correct positions.

I tried starting it when I got home from driving it yesterday; right after turning it off and it started fine again. This morning I went out and started it after checking the battery terminals to make sure they were clean and tight. It did hesitate so I wanted to see if it would again and after turning it off and restarting hesitated again while still cold. Everything looks good on the battery, I haven't tested the battery but it is less than 24 months old and I have had it in freezing weather and not had this issue. Just wondering what else might be good to look at before taking it in. Thanks in advance for any help.

brockncole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree check the battery. My old truck did that when you would put a load tester on it it would be fine for the first 10 seconds or so then it would drop in to the :weak" zone of the load tester.

ArtGamer60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey , is it cranking normally and not wanting to start , do you hear a knock ( ping ) too much advance ? and turns slow ? or does it act like the battery is low and cranking or barely cranking ? as far as the gauges , mine has always reset them upon a restart , the only time that I had problems like you described was when right before I ran out of gas which could mean a fuel pump problem , hope this helps .

OP
OP
M

MaverikDS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Was the battery. I don't have a load tester so I hooked it up to my charger and watched the voltage drop as I just turned the lights on and nothing else. After it dropped below 10 volts in just a couple of minutes I returned it. Got the warranty exchange and after getting the new one in, fired right up. The first start was like that with the guages but I figured that was just the new battery. Turned off my car and restarted it right back up. Glad it was only the battery, I was a little worried because of some issues I had a little over a year ago (can check my preivous posts if interested).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thegerb50