Well, it’s happening again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is prime example.

A couple of years ago I bought a 2012 Ford Expedition EL Limited 4X4 with 65k miles on it, body and everything in mint condition, loaded with every option available, all leather, 3 tv screens, heated/cooled seats all the way around, front and rear captain chairs, auto leveling suspension, you name it, it has it.

I knew it needed some maintenance, engine checked out perfect, no oil leaks, compression issues, nothing like that, and being mechanically inclined I bought it for $12k

I wanted it for a secondary vehicle, family hauler, boat / RV towing, etc.

I wanted to put it back on top shape and be as reliable as I could.

I did all the work myself minus the tranny because I don't have facility to lift it and price was reasonable

To put it back on top shape, I did the following;

New battery

New Tires

New Plugs, fuel and air filter

Re-man tranny and transfer case

New 4X4 actuators (due to vacuum leak)

New half axle seals on the front

New brakes & rotors (heavy duty for towing)

Replaced manifold gasket and studs (known issue)

New bearing hub assembly

New Shocks / Springs front

Total invested when done, including cost of vehicle) about $22k

That same vehicle new, when I called around, with all options is running $76k to $84k

Even in the event I have to drop a new engine in it at some point, that would put me around $30k

Still less than half of a new vehicle in like new condition.

When I first seen the vehicle I could see it written all over it, a guy brings it in for brakes or something else minor, the salesmen walks up something along the lines of "Well, the brakes will cost $2,200 (which is crazy, heavy duty towing brakes and rotors DIY was around $375) then he explains the 4X4 actuators need replacing around $1,500 ($250 DIY), your manifold is starting to leak, another $2,000 ( $200 DIY), front shocks and springs $2,500 ($200 DIY), and the crazy list goes.

The customer is now looking at well over $8k just for some basic maintenance done at a shop, not including tires $1,200, tranny and transfer case, axle seals, etc at who knows how much a shop would cost.

The salesmen them turns around "You know, just for the cost of brakes and tires, I can put you in a brand new one under warranty for the same monthly notes.

The buyer doesn't care that it will be a 20 year loan, ending up paying close to $100k for a vehicle, all he cares about is the monthly payment.

And here I am, with a like new vehicle, paid off in 4 years.

I see the same thing, probably even worse when it comes to boats and RV's

It's beyond crazy

Relentless

Waste of money OR a trashed, bad-deal vehicle

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Something's wrong with this story. I get the point, and agree with the principle, but the numbers don't add up here.

Why would a two year old 65K mile truck be such a rat? Was it under water or something? Mine's got 100K and all it has needed is brakes.

Matticus

Reaction score
Putting $10K+ in a $12K 'back up' SUV, does not make sense. Why change a good transmission and transfer case? There has been others on this forum, that have amazingly done this. The 6R80 can go, at least 150k. Maybe 200k+. DIY is OK, but what is 'your' time worth? What if your AC goes or catalytic converters? Big dollar items. Hows is the driver seat and carpets? You get rear ended and totaled, all your going to get is book value. Realistically, the 2012 Expeditions sold for around $45K with rebates. 2012's do not have 4x4 actuators. It is Auto4wd and electronically controlled.

That's odd...I replaced the 4x4 actuators in my 2012 also.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3763701&cc=3015249&jsn=471

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Something's wrong with this story. I get the point, and agree with the principle, but the numbers don't add up here.

Why would a two year old 65K mile truck be such a rat? Was it under water or something? Mine's got 100K and all it has needed is brakes.

Mine got 136k and 189k and really don't need jack ****... well, ok, maybe a $20 blend door for occasionally clicking rear air on the '09

TXFishin

Reaction score
Putting $10K+ in a $12K 'back up' SUV, does not make sense. Why change a good transmission and transfer case? There has been others on this forum, that have amazingly done this. The 6R80 can go, at least 150k. Maybe 200k+. DIY is OK, but what is 'your' time worth? What if your AC goes or catalytic converters? Big dollar items. Hows is the driver seat and carpets? You get rear ended and totaled, all your going to get is book value. Realistically, the 2012 Expeditions sold for around $45K with rebates. 2012's do not have 4x4 actuators. It is Auto4wd and electronically controlled.

The transmission started having issues after about 10k miles towing 7,800

I didn't replace parts just for the fun of it I can assure you

And the point is, over a 2 year period, even with the work that was done, it has come out even still a 1/3rd the cost of a new like vehicle

Buying a new Ford at $70k to $80k and $750+ a month is what's stupid

Relentless

Last edited:

TXFishin

Reaction score
Mine got 136k and 189k and really don't need jack ****... well, ok, maybe a $20 blend door for occasionally clicking rear air on the '09
We're you doing any towing? My buddy replaced his at 80k and was not used for towing or anything

Relentless

TXFishin

Reaction score

Where did you get 2 years old from?

2012 Vehicle is 2 years old?

I bought it used two years ago, so that would make it 5 years old at the time of purchase

Relentless

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where did you get 2 years old from?

2012 Vehicle is 2 years old?

I bought it used two years ago, so that would make it 5 years old at the time of purchase

Relentless

Whatevs, it's still-in-diapers mileage.

I've never owned ANYTHING with less than 6 digits on the clock, and never had anywhere near that laundry list of items to fix or similar repair costs

TXFishin

Reaction score
Whatevs, it's still-in-diapers mileage.

I've never owned ANYTHING with less than 6 digits on the clock, and never had anywhere near that laundry list of items to fix or similar repair costs
I would agree on that, and hope there is nothing else going on, this all happened over a two year period.

Prior to purchasing, I read all over where people are getting 200 k+ on Expeditions

Having previously owned Toyota's, one with 275 and another with just over 340k miles and no issues, spending $10k was definitely not on the list.

The items were not replaced all at once and then was too far into it to bail out.

Overall though, even with the work done, considerably cheaper than a new vehicle or taking a chance on another used, so hoping this will be good to go for a VERY long time

Had the need to carry 5+ not been in the equation I would have went with a Dodge and a 5.9

Relentless

TXFishin

Reaction score
wow changing out a 6R80 with 65k is pretty nuts. They are a bandless trans and when maintained they go 300,000+ miles with no rebuild.

They aren’t picky like the 4R.
I read the same prior to purchase, even reading where guys are towing 8 to 9k on a regular bases, but who knows what the previous owner did to the vehicle?

The new transfer case was purchased with the transmission, 5 year warranty, and they had a different opinion, same as yours, so hopefully was a dud or previously abused.

I have a 96 F150 with 236k miles, all original and still going that I was using for my tow vehicle prior to this

What was odd is when I called around on the transmission for the Expedition, 4 different mechanics called them "throw-away" transmissions, and mentioned that's why you don't even check the fluid, or can't really check it without a lift, they all said drive it till quits, and I've never heard anyone say anything like that before

Relentless