What’s considered high mileage on a Gen3 expy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also disagree on the parts point. Quality Parts are not very hard to find for these trucks as it's been largely the same from 2003-2017. I'm sure the parts will be available a long time to come. I'd say that assumption depends on the commonality of the vehicle, it is very true for many though.

Last edited:

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got 125k on mine and find myself doing odd random things like the power steering pressure line and the belt tensioner but for the most part it's routine maintenance. I don't expect to need to replace anything major until 300k, hopefully by then I'll have another one.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I run my cars till they die or break beyond a repairable value so milege is never an issue to me as far as resale goes

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Wow, some disagreement with my silly opinions! I don't like Japanese cars. Never liked their engineering, though I know plenty of folks who do. I'm glad you've found them superior to those made here and that they've done well by you.

When I mentioned difficulty finding quality parts after a car gets older, the point I had in mind was my 2000 Expedition. I can't get OEM exhaust or steering parts for it. The aftermarket "standard" is Walker. My Ford engine pipe lasted fifteen years, the Walker replacement lasted 18 months. Yes, the 3rd Generation stuff will be around for a good long time, but there comes and age when Ford stops providing service parts and when the "quality" manufacturers stop making them too. I suppose folks with 20 year old trucks tend to buy cheaper stuff?

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always bring my Fords to the dealer for regular preventative maintenance. My wife works there and I get it at her cost. I can't do the work myself at the cost and they have a written record of all the maintenance so they can't say it was not kept up.

SRQ-Ford

Reaction score
Just a note to agree with the general feeling above - figure you are good to go thru about 150k. From 150k up in to the 200k+ range I think allot will depend on the quality of maintenance performed along the way. I had a gen 2 that I was going to keep until it hit 290-300k. (I'm pretty **** retentive about my vehicles so it was very well taken care of along the way.) I was about 180k, closing in on 200k when the rear main started to leak just a little bit. M&M sized spot on the garage floor after overnight. I had a new born and just did not have the time to deal with that myself, nor the money to have it done so I sold the truck. Still miss that truck....

WiscoGus

Reaction score
I've got 193k on my 2008. Its always had routine maintenance at the dealer and still runs strong. The only downside is that the body will likely rust out before the truck dies.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Every design seem to have its weak points, and when those are big items that rear their heads on an older high-mileage car, most owners say goodbye. The first generation Expeditions have a head gasket problem that I know of. Seems the blocks had a grinding defect and they often leak above the starter at higher mileage.

Then of course there are the exhaust manifolds that rot out and are a dog to change and the catalytic converters that seem to both rot in the same month. Replacements are of very poor quality.

When the mileage is up there in the 2XX,***+ numbers and you are recovering from one of the above jobs and get hit with another, most folks with the means to get something newer just move on...

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve bought several cars with 200,000 on them and they seemed to always run really good for me for another 100,000 miles without issues. Sometimes I wonder if buying a car at that mileage point, someone else has already replaced a ton of parts already and I’m getting the car during its second wind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Herby

Reaction score
Just reading through some of these posts. I have to say that I am keeping my 07 Expy until the wheels fall off. This decision was reinforced after my visit to the dealer. $80k for a Stealth Edition?? No thanks! My ride is rolling strong at 215k.