What causes backfire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Honestly I don't know what exactly causes it but my expedition is having it, you know the gurgling of the exhaust after it shifts or if you rev it in neutral/park.

I'm not gonna lie I like it lol and its probably running rich that's why its gurgling but I cant imagine it hurting the 7.3 mpg I'm already getting with it!!!!

Anyways if you can steer me in the way of a possible fix I'll fix it since i LITERALLY have nothing to do in the new house i bought, its too damn new that nothing is broken yet so I'm pretty much idle and bored in the evenings....

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well Habbibie from what I remember, backfiring is caused by a fuel charge that doesn't get exploded by the spark at the right time. Every see an old model T or A, yeah I know what you perverts are thinking! If the manual spark advance was not advanced properly, a backfire would occur. But when a fuel charge has a spark that's too late, say at top dead center or later, it fires on the down stroke of the piston/crankshaft, instead of before top dead center, usually anywhere from 2 to 12 degrees before. Your rich fuel charge needs to be fixed. Have you checked your fuel trims? I'm betting either you gotta bum fuel pressure regulator, or a wonky 02 sensor, that's letting it run rich.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well Habbibie from what I remember, backfiring is caused by a fuel charge that doesn't get exploded by the spark at the right time. Every see an old model T or A, yeah I know what you perverts are thinking! If the manual spark advance was not advanced properly, a backfire would occur. But when a fuel charge has a spark that's too late, say at top dead center or later, it fires on the down stroke of the piston/crankshaft, instead of before top dead center, usually anywhere from 2 to 12 degrees before. Your rich fuel charge needs to be fixed. Have you checked your fuel trims? I'm betting either you gotta bum fuel pressure regulator, or a wonky 02 sensor, that's letting it run rich.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

I was gonna say too many frijoles but your explanation will work too

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Deceleration gurgle (as described in post 1) and backfire (in title) are two completely different items.

When you rev the engine and let off the accelerator & there is little to no engine load, ie: when parked or in neutral, deceleration gurgle is actually normal.