What is causing this issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krissielynn

Reaction score
I recently changed the fuel pump and the fuse box and did an oil change on my 2003 expedition and now every time i go over 40 mph it loses power and has a super loud whine. There are no fluid leaks. It acts almost as if the transmission is going out because it has a hard time shifting and the rpms go up into the high 2000s low 3000s before it finally shifts really rough. But when i have checked the fluids they are all still in a good range and aren't burnt smelling or looking. Any advice is helpful.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently changed the fuel pump and the fuse box and did an oil change on my 2003 expedition and now every time i go over 40 mph it loses power and has a super loud whine. There are no fluid leaks. It acts almost as if the transmission is going out because it has a hard time shifting and the rpms go up into the high 2000s low 3000s before it finally shifts really rough. But when i have checked the fluids they are all still in a good range and aren't burnt smelling or looking. Any advice is helpful.

Did you use an OEM Motorcraft fuel pump? It sounds as though the fuel pump is not pushing enough volume of gas. The whine may be a defective fuel pump.

When you changed the pump, did you empty and clean the inside of the fuel tank (to eliminate any debris)?

An engine problem can make the driver feel as though there is a transmission problem, when the problems lies with an engine running malfunction.

PS - I have driven through Columbus, Indiana - on the way to Nashville Indiana, Turkey Run State Park, and several caves. Beautiful area.