What is this vacuum system part?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Al Steel

Reaction score
All,

Found this part on my 04 5.4L V8 dry rotted and audibly sucking air. Definitely causing some issues because when I was moving it about to find out the source of a hissing noise, it caused all kinds of idling jumps. Wrapped with duct tape for a temporary fix but will need a permanent replacement. Its on top of the engine, connected to the intake manifold on the passenger side. Some kind of boot that connects a plastic tube to the manifold. I did a bunch of searching, but no dice.

I'm sure one of the Ford Gurus here knows exactly what is and the part number. It's the rubber thingy wrapped in duct tape. Thanks!

IMG_1115.jpg

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's just a 3/8" rubber coupler piece of hose. Almost any fuel hose or vacuum hose will work. There's a metal 5/16" nipple on the throttle body there, and that piece of hose just allows you to connect the vacuum tube to it. Nothing special. If you want to get a whole new vacuum tube assembly you can find them on Amazon. Take what you need from it.

New Vacuum Hose Assembly on Amazon

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Al Steel

Reaction score
Ham, I'm pretty sure it's this part of that whole octopus assembly.

1638146255176.png

If I gotta buy the entire assembly just for THAT then I'll try the rubber hose like you suggested. Not paying $35 for a $.50 piece of rubber!

Thanks!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah. Sometimes it's that piece, or the big one on the back of the manifold, or the one at the PVC elbow. You never know.

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guys, make sure the cheap hosing fits as tightly as OEM. You will get lean codes if it doesn't. I got hosed by cheap hosing (vacuum leaks and lean codes), so I freaked out and splurged on the whole OEM PCV system that @Hamfisted linked.

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ham, I'm pretty sure it's this part of that whole octopus assembly.

View attachment 71176

If I gotta buy the entire assembly just for THAT then I'll try the rubber hose like you suggested. Not paying $35 for a $.50 piece of rubber!

Thanks!

Other portions of the assembly on your vehicle may also be deteriorated or dry rotting and leaking. The replacement part is not very expensive - I would replace the entire assembly.

OP
OP
A

Al Steel

Reaction score
Roger all that... I'll do a closer inspection when I get a few good daylight hours. I was getting intermittent (twice in the past month) "Bank 1 too lean" codes so looks like I may have found the culprit there. Was thinking a failing upstream O2 sensor but this makes more sense and is kind of a smoking gun.

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Roger all that... I'll do a closer inspection when I get a few good daylight hours. I was getting intermittent (twice in the past month) "Bank 1 too lean" codes so looks like I may have found the culprit there. Was thinking a failing upstream O2 sensor but this makes more sense and is kind of a smoking gun.
@Al Steel I guess I stopped short of recommending that you replace the whole PCV system, but like @99WhiteC5Coupe I do recommend that because as soon as I replaced one part of the PCV hosing, another would fail, then the plastic elbows started breaking... If I did it all over again I would just replace the whole thing from the start. I bought the (USA Made) OEM part from parts.ford.com, Part number L3Z6C324AA. So I should be good for another 15 years...
Good luck.

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I remember that rubber line breaking on me on a road trip about 6 years ago. I found a Dorman Help! product that was a close match including the hard plastic tube. If memory serves me right, I had to shorten the rubber end and I think I put a small hose clamp on it for good measure. Still solid today.