What is your Expy's Oil Pressure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I just changed the oil today, ~500 miles after completing a timing set replacement and 200k maintenance:

http://www.expeditionforum.com/f41/hello-200k-maintenance-05-2wd-eb-27563/

Before I did this project, my oil pressure at idle was ~37psi. Not too bad, especially considering the plastic trash in my pick up tube screen. Since I planned to replace the oil pump, I went ahead and upgraded to the Melling HP #10340. It comes with an 80lb (brown color) installed and 60lb (blue color) in the box. In conversation with the tech at Melling, we decided it was best for me to switch out the spring (easy to do) as I won't be at >6K RPM any time soon. The pump works on a variety of 4.6 and 5.4 engines, including the high rev high performance set ups.

Why did I go this route? 'Cause this VTC stuff needs good oil volume to work properly and I want to keep this DD in the road a long time and be able to tow.

This article explains more, but simply put - many oil pumps will flex at higher RPMs and some oil is pressed in between the pump and front of block - rather than into the block and to the oil filter adapter and so on:

What's New with Oil Pumps, Pickups and Pans - Engine Builder Magazine

Again my focus was more on volume than pressure. I did not test the pressure under load or higher RPMs, but before the job I got well over 70 at >3500 RPM, so I figure with 62 at idle that I'm all set.

Maybe this helps others who are considering a new pump.

Attachments

• After job oil pressure.jpg
    After job oil pressure.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 23