What kind of Spare did Ford Give You?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ive done it! Ive got 2 complete sets of OEM tires/wheels (10 total) for my wrangler...and I've programed the jeep to accept all 10 tires....I rotate the tires/wheels as needed w/out additional programming.

My point is - EVERY OEM wheel/tire (since at least 2007) has TPMS sensors in them (its a federal mandate)....most folks MOVE the TPMS sensors to their 'new' wheels when they customize or upgrade from factory wheels.

w/ FORSCAN software you turn OFF THE TPMS (and reset pressure levels).

I can (and do) get good money out of the rotation of a GOOD (matching) spare tire...beats the hell out of the spare sitting under the vehicle rotting!

View attachment 35504

So do you buy 5 new tires then eveytime you replace tires? Seems crazy to go thru all that trouble of taking a spare up and down, but it would make rotating a much easier job because you would literally only need one jack! :)

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So do you buy 5 new tires then eveytime you replace tires? Seems crazy to go thru all that trouble of taking a spare up and down, but it would make rotating a much easier job because you would literally only need one jack! :)

I do a 5 tire rotation about every 10k miles.
After the tires are worn out...I usually keep the best tire of the 5, as the spare - and only buy 4....OR if change tire type/sizes I occasionally buy 5 (that's rare).

on the jeep, Ive never had to buy a tire...ive bartered sets...usually do some mods, welding, stereos, etc in exchange for the tires and wheels.

BoinLV

Reaction score
I have a 2018 FX4 XLT: 4 x 275/65/18, with a 265/70/17 spare.

Looking into a VIAIR compressor (sized by tire diameter) went to https://tiresize.com/comparison/ to discover the 275s have a 32.1" diameter, the spare 31.6" The site has "comparable tire" chart, some of which match the diameter exactly.
Why Ford mounted a 1/2" smaller diameter spare is beyond me...