What the heck, I replaced a part and bricked the Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OpticonBill

Reaction score
So today I got the two parts I ordered to make my new used Expedition right again. The rear tow hitch cover which simply snapped on in place.
But the other part was a replacement for the center console panel, which was badly scratched up and the chrome around the bezel trim was peeling off.

IMG_5818.jpg

Replacing this part was really simple, only took about 15 minutes. After replacing panel, the truck tells me the key is missing and won't start.

Am I going to have to have the truck towed to a Ford dealership to be reset or something? Only had the truck five days and already it's a brick in the driveway.
Bummer.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It sounds like it's push button start? If so it's probably a dead key fob battery.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Under the front (I think) cup holder is a slot to put the key when the fob battery is weak or dies, which allows the car to start. If it started before, but now won't, check the connections to that device.

(as an aside, that is one abused console!)

OP
OP
O

OpticonBill

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. There are two connections to the underside of where the fob is placed. Both wire connections 'Y' into a single plug. I don't know if it matters if the two connections are swapped. But the new panel had the two separate wire connectors already connected to the underside of the panel and all I had to do was plug the other end into the connection in the console. So, I don't think I got them swapped incorrectly (if it even matters).

Placing the fob in the cup receptacle fob pocket does nothing as far as changing the car response while trying to start. The car only does one thing. A single ding sound and the "no key" message on the display. Oh, and the key does let me lock and unlock the car by both pressing the fob lock and unlock buttons or touching the driver side handle.

Regarding the original panel...I know what you're saying. When I first looked at the car, the salesperson and I saw that panel and both commented how could the panel alone look so crappy, yet the shifter and 2-to-4-wheel knob were undamaged. And the area around the center console as well as the dashboard was like new.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Double check the connection. Each connector is keyed to only go into one cavity (poka yoke). Check fuses too. Did you disconnect the battery when swapping the console? Speaking of disconnecting the battery, do that for 10min and reconnect after you have confirmed the connections.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Double check the connection. Each connector is keyed to only go into one cavity (poka yoke). Check fuses too. Did you disconnect the battery when swapping the console? Speaking of disconnecting the battery, do that for 10min and reconnect after you have confirmed the connections.

That may erase any stored trouble codes which could point the owner or dealer in the right direction.

OP
OP
O

OpticonBill

Reaction score
The "poka yoke" connections appear to be the same but went ahead and swapped them just to see if there was any change, and there was not.

Did disconnect the battery before replacing the panel. Battery was disconnected for the 15 minutes it took to swap panels.

Replaced the original panel to no effect, including after swapping the two "poka yoke" connectors.

OP
OP
O

OpticonBill

Reaction score
I'm an idiot...

I decided to revisit the panel connections to make sure they were all securely connected. As I was doing so...hello what is this connector and where does it connect to? Could not see a corresponding connection receptacle for the orphaned plug. Went back and looked at the original panel and lo and behold there is an essential component press-nut secured to the side of the cup the fob is put into, and it had a female connection point that matched the orphaned plug in the console. Removed this component and secured to the same location of the new panel and voila. Truck now starts.

Thanks for all you who responded, it helped me get to a place where I needed to look more closely at what I was doing.