What the Heck is going on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As posted before, add on items like aftermarket stereos, or your phone charger, cause wacky symptoms. . Only the first edition expeditions have a gem module, so right off the bat you can rule that out. My bet is some module is acting up, or one of the wires you tapped into for the aftermarket stuff, is causing your grief. Keep us posted what the electrical shop finds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

Firemed57

Reaction score
No solutions yet, but they said they had to clear all the codes from me pulling fuses and they have to drive it for a bit to see what comes back.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Must be bad voojoo in the air. It was a little wet last night here in Daly City, along the coast. Moisture got into my Gem module again. This time my fan motor turns on and stays on, when I turn off key. I've sealed around my windshield twice but alas the gremlins are back. Sitting here at the lake with battery disconnected, sure glad I keep a few tools with me.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, you just need to seal around the glass. Ford did a real poor job of sealing from the factory, and moisture gets in and drips into gem box and fuse box above drivers feet. Usually it's just my stereo that stops working when I put it in drive. Last time I crawled under there, and saw how tough it was to pull plug on Gem module, I left the plug alone. It's usually ok after I seal the window, but not lately.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hate heat, that's why I live near San Francisco. You can have the 100 degree plus days. It rarely gets above 85 degrees here in Daly City. Tourists never complain of our fog, they know the hell their returning to later that week.

OP
OP
F

Firemed57

Reaction score
Report from the Auto Electric guys. They originally said it was the GEM module. They replaced that only to have that fried out after a few minutes running. Now they are saying its the instrument cluster that fried the GEM module, so both were bad? A little BS flag has gone up. What do you guys think?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First off if they said they replaced a Gem module on a 2008 expedition, then they need to be hanged! Gem modules only came on first edition expeditions. Later models use a different setup. Is your year and model on your first post correct? Sounds like you need to find a different shop, and get ahold of consumer affairs regarding that shop. You have a dead short somewhere that will require an expert auto electrician to sort out. Good luck.