What tires and wheels for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jumpstart

Reaction score
I am looking to replace my stock tires and wheels with something that is good for towing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use Nitto Ridge Grappler LT tires (LT285/70 R18). As far as wheels, that is a personal choice. I have Black Rhino Chambers (+12mm offset) on mine.

IMG_2424.jpeg

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't swapped the factory summer tires yet but I'm eying the Michelin Defenders when I do. A small sidewall (so 20" or 22" wheels) is ideal for stability.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aside from traction depending on what terrain you will be towing on, tires are not as critical as people seem to think.
Un-like a pickup truck loading items in the back OR possibly your Expedition loaded inside and on top, where side wall and load rating come into play, towing requirements stipulate that the tow vehicle should only receive lateral load from the trailer and the downward loads must be little to none in comparison. That is why most all hitches on average have a max tongue load of 600 lbs.

Beachums

Reaction score
Be sure to get load range E tires. Max pressure 80psi.... When you're not towing, leave factory recommended air pressure in the tires. If you're towing something heavy, bump all 4 tires up to 70-80 psi. That will give you the stiff sidewall you're gonna want.
I used to be in the Goodyear silent armor bandwagon. Now I rock Michelin Defender LTX mud and show rated.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This.

I ran normal 40 psi in my load range E Nitto’s when not towing and pumped up to 70 when towing the travel trailer. Towed like a dream. The EB 3.5 is a freaking tow beast. Very impressive.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're towing something heavy, the tires make a huge difference. I tow a 7000+ lb boat over 1000 miles each summer and the rear end was a bit squirrelly even with the sway bar upgrade until I put better tires on. Switched up to XL rated tires on factory 20" rims and it is as planted as towing with my pickup now. I probably could have gone up to the E rated tires for the trailer weight, but the XLs give a little softer ride when unloaded.

jayliu

Reaction score
This.

I ran normal 40 psi in my load range E Nitto’s when not towing and pumped up to 70 when towing the travel trailer. Towed like a dream. The EB 3.5 is a freaking tow beast. Very impressive.
what psi would you recommended towing something in the 4000lb range. (factory recommened is 39 psi on a 22 inch wheel.) Thanks.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With an independent rear suspension vehicle, there is no way you need load range E tires. Thats complete overkill. Sure it will help, but the sway is coming from the suspension more than the tires. Get the rear sway bar swapped for Hellwig to start with.