what to replace at 170k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OokeyIkky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys. So after getting back from vacation I finally got around to replacing my bad u joints. I couldn't get them off myself with my tools so I took it to a shop. They said they broke a 3 foot breaker bar (how do you bust a breaker bar? ) trying to free up the nuts and the u joints were probably original. This got me thinking...

I didn't get any service records or anything when I bought the expy at 167k. I'm coming around to 170k soon. So, assuming everything is original (minus regular fluid changes and filters), what should I replace to play it safe?

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
I would say just for safety sakes to replace the plugs. THey are going to be due here shortly (at 200K miles, but if you are getting into it....). I would also say to put a new PCV valve on the truck, a good cleaning of the throttle body, an inspection of the ball joints/tie rod ends, and then finally an inspection of your trailing arms on the rear axle.

Beyond that, you are looking at your typical fluids and brake checks.

It probably would not hurt to flush the radiator and run a bottle or two of injector cleaner through the gas too.

OP
OP
O

OokeyIkky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thx. I'm gonna get on that. I already looked at the trailing arms in November and holes have rusted through em so ya gotta get that done.

masterhacker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Plugs, Maf is probably in need of replacing, or at least cleaning (i find most only last about 100,000 miles then you lose performance i replaced mine and my truck runs 4X as good) Throttle body cleaning. Diff fluid (most people overlook this when they change their fluids) , ball joints are probably pretty wooped, most likely need tie rod ends, and the ideler arm

If you are doing ball joints just order the complete moog upper control arm off ebay, you can get it for almost the same price as the upper ball joint

Last edited:

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thx. I'm gonna get on that. I already looked at the trailing arms in November and holes have rusted through em so ya gotta get that done.
I just did mine, and I was scared to drive it once I saw rust holes. If they let go, much more damage will happen. You could possibly lose control and wreck the truck! This is what I bought and I am very happy with both price and quality -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250949872034?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just did mine, and I was scared to drive it once I saw rust holes. If they let go, much more damage will happen. You could possibly lose control and wreck the truck! This is what I bought and I am very happy with both price and quality -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250949872034?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

wow thats a decent deal i looked at their whole kit and 345 doesnt seem too bad i would still love to make my own but i might break down and buy

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i was out playin in the desert last weekend and honestly i was worried about breaking my trailing arms since they are to rusted. by the way expy still does awesome in the sand even in the whoops drives like a cadi.

OP
OP
O

OokeyIkky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is a good deal on trailing arms. Ill have to think a bit on those or spending the extra for the ones from pmt fab.