What's next?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djock12

Reaction score
Hello forum members, I recently traded in my 2007Eddie Bauer EL with 308000 miles on it and got a good deal on a 2017 eco boost Limited. Loving it so far. I have been doing research on the oil blow back and using a catch can as well as checking out the tunes for the engine. Looking for some guidance on should i get a catch can first or go with a good engine tune. My current expy has about 56k miles on it. Looking forward to your constructive replies.

thanks

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d go with a catch can first for sure. There is a catch can thread on here if you search. My opinion is that will give your engine more longevity versus more power and possibly less longevity with a tune.... of course depending on how extreme the tune is.

OP
OP
D

djock12

Reaction score
I’d go with a catch can first for sure. There is a catch can thread on here if you search. My opinion is that will give your engine more longevity versus more power and possibly less longevity with a tune.... of course depending on how extreme the tune is.

thanks, I was thinking catch can first as well.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think the V-8's operate differently on premium gas?

The Ecoboosts power ratings are done on premium gasoline and when lower grade is used the timing is adjusted and power is lost. That is why there is a perceived difference on higher octane.....because it’s made it run on it. The 5.4L is made to run on 87 octane in most variations....on some special edition vehicles it sometimes had a higher compression ratio requiring 93 but otherwise no.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
What I'm curious about is if the 5.4 will advance timing with a premium gas. Will it advance the timing until it detects detonation or pinging? If it does, then a premium gas will give better performance. If static timing is limited to what an 87 octane is presumed to support, a higher octane gas would actually waste money and give poorer mileage.

Not intending to hijack the thread -- sorry...

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the 5.4 wasn't adorned with the surrounding tech to make advancing/retarding per octane rating possible however it likely came with detonation-sensors to retard to prevent engine damage. I never had need to work on either of mine other than doing normal stuff so I'm not positive.

jeff

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 5.4L 3V in the 3rd gen does have VCT technology unlike the older ones but you would have to pretty much raise the compression ratio to effectively use the 93 octane. Remember the higher octane rating is only resistance to detonation. Therefore the higher the compression you need more resistance so predetonation doesn’t occur. You would have to have a variable compression engine to really make this work. Again the ecoboost is only retarding itself when anything lower is used, it cannot adjust anything to run better on higher octane it only retards itself less......if you get my drift. The engines are pretty much built to run at a certain octane depending on the compression ratio of the engine from the factory and they are only made to retard themselves if a lower grade is used.... retarding makes the explosion less powerful in the combustion chamber. I don’t know of any engine that can change its compression when a higher octane fuel is used......The EcoBoost certainly cannot and nor can the 5.4L. The 5.4L does have variable cam timing and the camphasers can retard and advance but that is for enhancing the powerband and fuel economy. Anyway guys this thread isn’t per this conversation.....let’s not derail the OP too much lol.

Last edited: