wheel bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pittmike

Reaction score
I am going to replace a rear wheel bearing assembly tomorrow on 2003 Expedition. I need to know what size is the large nut holding the assembly to the drive axle? I want to be sure I buy the right socket. Also, if you have any other warnings or tips on that job great.

Thanks.

PS why do the wheels seems so hard to remove on this truck? They fuse on?

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know it is a big socket that you need. We just replaced the rear on my old man's 04. I am pretty sure that it is a 36mm socket that we had to use. For some scientific reason unknown to me alloy wheels tend to seize after going some time without being removed. My steel rims never have a problem with being removed. Give them a thump from behind with a sledgehammer. Doesnt take much to break them lose.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pittmike

Reaction score
Thanks I did find 36mm somewhere just need more confirmation. Also thanks on the wheel tip. I am pretty sure I heard something about the aluminum and steel having a reaction.

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Argg.. It's either a 35 or 36mm... You could always drive to Napa and ask them to come with you to see which one fits..

Some torque number you may need..

Rear axle wheel hub retainer 338Nm/250lb-ft
Tow link Nut 55Nm/41lb-ft
Knuckle to lower control arm bolt 400Nm/295lb-ft

purple_50

Reaction score
Did both my rear hubs not long ago, I used a 36 and it seemed to work just fine. Plus if it is 35, that little difference isn't enough to cause any harm. But if you buy the 35 and its actually a 36 it may not fit. Just do the 36

OP
OP
P

pittmike

Reaction score
everything came apart fine but i can't get the damn assembly off the truck? anyone have any pointers I dont want to be too rough and mess up the axle splines.

purple_50

Reaction score
What part is stuck? I had to use an air hammer on mine, you can use it to push the center of the cv axle if its stuck. Mine were stuck in the housing and I just left the bolts threaded in a half dozen turns or so and used the air hammer on the head of the bolts to push the hub from the housing. It was a pita on the first one till I got the method figured out, second one took 10 min. Don't hammer the axle and wreck the threads though!

Sent from my NEXT8P using Tapatalk 2

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just make sure you remove all 3 bolts holding it on from behind. We had to use a 10" gear puller to separate the front hubs from the splines on my 97 but the hub assembly came right off my old man's 04.