wheel hub replacement, stripped bolt head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ex0r

Reaction score
So what the hell am I supposed to do now? Because Ford are idiots and design stuff to operate like shit, one of the damn bolts that holds the wheel hub assembly in place in the front is completely stripped (the head) A screw extractor isn't going to work because the bolt is seized into the hole, and now i have a daily driver sitting in pieces that cannot be put back together. What the hell am I supposed to do now ?

(By the way, the head got stripped because Ford decided to put the bolt in an area where no matter what size ratchet/socket you use, you cannot get anything on the bolt straight so it sits on an angle, or sits straight and when you try turning it out it slips off and rounds the head.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. I ended up using a grinder and saws-all to cut through part of the hub and the bolt itself.

Dealers usually stock the bolt, but you may need to call around to find a dealer that will sell them individually. Some want you to buy a bag of 6. (at $7.50 ea)

OP
OP
E

Ex0r

Reaction score
I don't have any idea how you got a grinder in there, let alone a sawzall. There isn't any room for a socket, let alone a huge grinder. Did you just cut vertically through the old hub and remove the bolt, or what?

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
You can't cut off the bolt head from behind. You have to cut or grind through the hub mount itself, where the bolt goes through. You have to be careful to not hit the spindle itself.

I should have taken pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badbolr