wheel well cargo area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
2014EL
I use all those spaces that MrMuddy showed, depending on the trip needs.

Have found the easiest way to remove the cupholders is to take the top "catchall bin/tray" (not sure of name) out and reach arm in and under cup holder and just push up from underneath and it just pops out effortlessly.

That "catchall bin/tray" … have found an issue with removal/installation of that that's annoying. Its easy when its warm out but when the temp gets below 32 or so … the plastic becomes very hard and its a bear to get out or put in. The plastic built in retaining clips are so solid they aren't compliant at all and uncooperative. More likely to break off also (only when frozen).

I took MrMuddy's idea to store stuff in the rear "tire jack area" to the next level. Gutted it and built a tool box, storage compartment. It's in conjunction with the mods to the whole back section (removed seats etc) so YMMV. That's a pretty handy emergency supply area.
IMG_0145.JPG

There is a massive amount of wasted space behind the 3rd row with the contraption Ford made for that area. Rip it out and make something to use the space! Some smart entrepreneur (or WeatherTech) could make an aftermarket unit for that area (tool box etc)
I'll make a beautiful custom one from Mahogany for a few hundred $$$$ … LOL
hand cut dovetail joints for an upcharge
IMG_0629.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
mossback

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Hmm, very interesting. And well done. There is a lot of wasted space.
I still can’t get over the lack of cargo tie downs.

Expy_Tac

Reaction score
2014EL
I use all those spaces that MrMuddy showed, depending on the trip needs.

Have found the easiest way to remove the cupholders is to take the top "catchall bin/tray" (not sure of name) out and reach arm in and under cup holder and just push up from underneath and it just pops out effortlessly.

That "catchall bin/tray" … have found an issue with removal/installation of that that's annoying. Its easy when its warm out but when the temp gets below 32 or so … the plastic becomes very hard and its a bear to get out or put in. The plastic built in retaining clips are so solid they aren't compliant at all and uncooperative. More likely to break off also (only when frozen).

I took MrMuddy's idea to store stuff in the rear "tire jack area" to the next level. Gutted it and built a tool box, storage compartment. It's in conjunction with the mods to the whole back section (removed seats etc) so YMMV. That's a pretty handy emergency supply area.
View attachment 28968

There is a massive amount of wasted space behind the 3rd row with the contraption Ford made for that area. Rip it out and make something to use the space! Some smart entrepreneur (or WeatherTech) could make an aftermarket unit for that area (tool box etc)
I'll make a beautiful custom one from Mahogany for a few hundred $$$$ … LOL
hand cut dovetail joints for an upcharge
View attachment 28969

Wait, so there’s that much space under the jack storage if you take the plastic compartment out? Or is there just a ton of space back there on the EL? Has anyone done that type of toolbox conversion on the standard length Expy? If so, any pics of the process?

I’m with you mossback; I’m really surprised at the lack of tiedowns.

Plati

Reaction score
Wait, so there’s that much space under the jack storage if you take the plastic compartment out? Or is there just a ton of space back there on the EL? Has anyone done that type of toolbox conversion on the standard length Expy? If so, any pics of the process?

Not "that much" reclaimable space in jack storage area … some. The EL has that 18" or so in front of that where the contraption resides that's the major opportunity. One thing you can do (on EL or non-EL) is build up a front & back wall to make it deeper, creating more enclosed storage area, where I have all those supplies. The extra 2 or so inches of depth is quite useful. Of course, I extended the concept all the way up to the drivers seat so I get about 15 cubic feet of enclosed storage area. Tradeoff vs seats, which I don't need. Of course you don't have to go that far.
IMG_0320.JPG

Plati

Reaction score

Not "that much" reclaimable space in jack storage area … some. The EL has that 18" or so in front of that where the contraption resides that's the major opportunity. One thing you can do (on EL or non-EL) is build up a front & back wall (and cover) to make it deeper, creating more enclosed storage area, where I have all those supplies. The extra 2 or so inches of depth is quite useful. Of course, I extended the concept all the way up to the drivers seat so I get about 15 cubic feet of enclosed storage area. Tradeoff vs seats, which I don't need. You don't have to go that far. Removing all those seats bought me another crapload of cubic feet and lightens the load by quite a few pounds.
View attachment 28974

I think they don't have cargo tie downs because of the litigious world we live in. If they put that in there, they be liable in an accident if/when things happened. Just a guess.

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a recommended tool (vinyl prybar) that's on Amazon or at an auto parts place?
I'm afraid I'll mar up my interior.

Yes.

They call it "vinyl prybar", buy a set for $10-20ish...you'll find yourself using them for all sorts of stuff you USED to mar up with a screwdriver or break before you knew better