When do you use the door code?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All the time.

Cell phone and wallet in front pants pockets and don't want a key in there as well. Leave key in ignition and press last 2 to lock.

One of my favorite features.

Interesting. Because you don’t want to carry the fob...my fob never leaves my pocket. Not even in the car.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think there’s some generation crossover here. Some 4th gen and lots of pre-4th gen.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3rd gen.

But even if I had a 4th gen I don't think I'd want to carry the fob in my pocket...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can ditch the fob and keys and leave them in the truck. Also as long as you remember the code you don’t need an app to unlock (don’t have to rely on a dead or lost phone etc). It’s sort of a fail safe get in the truck if all else fails for me. I rarely use it but like that it’s there.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I actually just used it the other day. My wife and I went Tinto two different stores. She is usually quicker than I am when she goes to the pharmacy so she took the key fob. I ended getting back to the car first with the groceries. Used the keypad to open the car before she got there. Had the car loaded with groceries before he arrived.

This store is in a cellular dead spot so using the app was not an option at the time. Otherwise, I would have just used it.

The issue was remembering what the code was since I had never used it before. LOL.

Rusty Jones

Reaction score
Use it all the time. When taking the boat to the lake I always lock the keys inside the truck and use the keypad so as not to risk loosing the keys on the lake. Also when going to the gym I lock the keys in the vehicle so I don't have them in my pocket or in a locker during a workout.

Teasip

Reaction score
I always use the door code so I won't forget it. Also on the key fob you should know it pulls open and there is a key that will open the driver's side door (plus glove compartment and console). Pull up on handle and look for hidden hole. You alarm will go off when you open that way, but it's a good thing to know if code and fob for some reason crap out.

Randymac

Reaction score
Long answer to a short question….on a fishing trip into the backwoods a few years back I forgot the customary steaks in a cooler in my Expedition. I suffered endless abuse from my buddies when this was revealed…..later that day I met a hiker who was headed out and used him to get a message (with my door code) to a fishing guide who was meeting us the next morning. When the guide arrived with the steaks in hand and still slightly frozen, I was redeemed! In my case the door code was a lifesaving feature!

jjuscg

Reaction score
This is one of my most important features - maybe the MAJOR reason for choosing Ford over Chevy. Hate to carry those giant key and remotes in my pocket. They hang in my garage at home and stay in the car when I go to church or the ball game. If I'm out in the yard and need something from my toolbox in the locked car, I don't have to fetch the keys.
Also hate a hot car.. If I make a quick stop at the convenience store, I can safely leave on the A/C while I go in for a quick coke or snack purchase.
Also, not the least of benefits is never having to worry about losing keys or hiding a spare somewhere.