When to change rear control arms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2011EL

Reaction score
Are aftermarket control arms any better or worse than Motorcraft? I've only ever worried about control arms with my old Mustang and the aftermarket options were generally better and lighter than stock. Not familiar with the options for these big SUVs.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not a lot of aftermarket options unless you go with a long-travel F150 kit in the front. I went OEM for the fronts, figuring the stock stuff worked great for 190k.

For the rear I went with Mevotech simply due to the price difference. Initial quality seems good but time will tell how they hold up.

2011EL

Reaction score
For the rear I went with Mevotech simply due to the price difference. Initial quality seems good but time will tell how they hold up.
Did you notice a big difference in ride quality after replacing your control arms?

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you notice a big difference in ride quality after replacing your control arms?
Huge improvement but it was a cumulative result. I replaced the rear shocks, front and rear lower control arms, rear upper control arms, and steering tie rods all at the same time. All had a little play so replacing everything had a dramatic impact.

2011EL

Reaction score
Very cool. I think that's my next project. Gotta make her truck last a few more years. Really don't want to think about spending around $80k to replace it.

amoreno

Reaction score
Hello gents, I have a couple questions, first: how well Mevotech parts have held over time?

Second: I have an '08 that has negative camber on both sides of the rear end. -2.3° and -2.1°, respectively. I was told at the firestone (where I bought a lifetime alignment package) that I need to install adjustable upper control arms, I installed MOOG RK621801 which seemed to be adjustable because they have thread. they happened to be non-adjustable control arms though. So, I put all my hopes on "SPC Performance 67275 Rear Camber Control Arm for Ford Expedition". However, the ball joins were too thick to get into the knuckles.

Any advice to be able to adjust rear camber?

Regards,

Andres M.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello gents, I have a couple questions, first: how well Mevotech parts have held over time?

Second: I have an '08 that has negative camber on both sides of the rear end. -2.3° and -2.1°, respectively. I was told at the firestone (where I bought a lifetime alignment package) that I need to install adjustable upper control arms, I installed MOOG RK621801 which seemed to be adjustable because they have thread. they happened to be non-adjustable control arms though. So, I put all my hopes on "SPC Performance 67275 Rear Camber Control Arm for Ford Expedition". However, the ball joins were too thick to get into the knuckles.

Any advice to be able to adjust rear camber?

Regards,

Andres M.
Those MOOG UCAs definitely are adjustable. Sounds like the alignment tech just doesn't want to break the taper to adjust them. Lifetime alignment isn't useful if they're not willing to do a decent job. Find a better shop.

Speed 330

Reaction score
Hey gang. I have a 2015 XL 4WD with standard suspension and 145K on the clock. I've been frustrated with how sloppy the handling has been, even with 5100s all the way around and 38psi in my tires. I recently went through the whole suspension and steering to see if anything was worn but didn't find much of a smoking gun, although I noticed that there was a bit of play in the rear control arm bushings. Is there a good way to tell what normal deflection is for these rubber bushings and when they're worn enough to replace? Should I just swap them out due to mileage?
At 145,000 Miles there wore out