where in the vin does it tell me which trans I have y2k xlt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gharris129

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My trans is clunking in and out of over drive i try to drive it w/ the over drive off but i will need to do a rebuild or replace soon any input on this would be awesome thanks. 174k on the od when its lit :)

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Stronger one yes. Must have the 5.4.

OP
OP
gharris129

gharris129

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok so yes i have a 4R100. I am driving it without overdrive and it seems fine for now. Is there anything preventative I should be doing in the meantime. I put under 500 miles on it a month and I will be waiting for it to grenade before I do anything to it assuming there isnt a very good reason not to. Are there any tricks for making it stronger when it comes time to rebuild or is there a better option I always try to make the truck stronger.

thanks guys

Last edited:

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mine did that alot i just bought an edge programmer and the tranny stopped "hunting" for gears... i went to several friendly transmission shops and they all said that that is a common occurance in these expys but they have noticed it causing any damage... i couldnt stand. my edge came in today i drove truck to work and back and no more hunting for gears