Which do you prefer for 2nd Row? : 40/20/40 or buckets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I bought my truck, it had the Eddie Bauer Interior. I soon transplanted a complete King Ranch interior (thread here: http://www.expeditionforum.com/f43/interior-swap-04-eddie-bauer-05-king-ranch-17952/). The only thing I did not like was that I lost the center seat, and went to buckets.

Before:
Seatsb41.jpg

After:
KRST10.jpg

While I like the look of the bucket seats, it also left open holes in the middle where the seat previously was mounted, as well as missing parts of the rug in those spots. I have it covered with a mat currently, but am contemplating sourcing another 40/20/40 King Ranch second row like this:

1FMPU17516LA75366-6_640w480h.jpg

The options I have are:
1. Keep the Buckets, and install a Navigator Center Console. This would also require removing the armrests, and cutting the "stubs" off of the inside of the seats with a sawzall
2. Replace with a 40/20/40 King Ranch seat, will look just as the EB interior did, but in the proper KR leather
3. Leave it as is, the mat covers the holes, and I don't usually have a full truck anyhow.

Thoughts? :think:

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Jeckler

Reaction score
4th option?
Obtain or build a different center console, and cover it in matching leather? You could get creative here, maybe with a fridge, or subwoofer. I wouldn't sacrifice the armrests just to add a Navi console.
With that said, I have the center seat in my '03, and it stays folded most of the time. The kids use the opening to get to the 3rd row, instead of folding the outer seats for access.

OP
OP
K

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4th option?
Obtain or build a different center console, and cover it in matching leather? You could get creative here, maybe with a fridge, or subwoofer. I wouldn't sacrifice the armrests just to add a Navi console.
With that said, I have the center seat in my '03, and it stays folded most of the time. The kids use the opening to get to the 3rd row, instead of folding the outer seats for access.

Thanks for your feedback!

Well, any center console will replace the need for the seat-mounted armrests... If I went that route, I plan to bring the armrest piece, and perhaps a KR cover from a different console, to a local upholstery shop, and have them swap it over.

I'd like it to look as factory as possible, and that can probably only happen if I use a Tan Navi console..

We have our first child on the way. While there will be more to come, it will be a while until I think I'd benefit from having easy access to the third row. It stays folded all the time, currently.

sarge816

Reaction score
I would keep the buckets personally, but that is because of my own reasons - I like easy access to the third row. If you are really expecting more kids it may be worth it to keep it as is.

I had the exact same interior as you on my 05 EB, but we needed the third row with arrival of our third child. My evil plan was to take out the middle seat (they are all separately bolted) for easy access to the third row for the oldest boy, then put the babies in car seats in the new "buckets" on the 2nd.

Worked perfectly, the center seat came out and now I have bucket seats (no armrests obviously) on the 2nd row and a baby seat in each. Our 11yo sits on the single raised seat on the 3rd row leaving the other 2/3 free for storage. I bought custom mats made for 2nd row captains chairs and the whole affair looks factory. You've already done the hard part, it really does make a big difference for multiple kids to have that easy 3rd row access.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would keep the buckets personally, but that is because of my own reasons - I like easy access to the third row. If you are really expecting more kids it may be worth it to keep it as is.

I had the exact same interior as you on my 05 EB, but we needed the third row with arrival of our third child. My evil plan was to take out the middle seat (they are all separately bolted) for easy access to the third row for the oldest boy, then put the babies in car seats in the new "buckets" on the 2nd.

Worked perfectly, the center seat came out and now I have bucket seats (no armrests obviously) on the 2nd row and a baby seat in each. Our 11yo sits on the single raised seat on the 3rd row leaving the other 2/3 free for storage. I bought custom mats made for 2nd row captains chairs and the whole affair looks factory. You've already done the hard part, it really does make a big difference for multiple kids to have that easy 3rd row access.

Thanks! Do you have pictures and details of the custom mats?

Buckets. They are hard to find already installed as an option on used vehicles!

I'm realizing that.. It seems to be the other way around with the G2 king ranch, though...

Buckets! Makes it so much easier for people, even grownups, to access the third row with that center aisle.

Valid point!

I'm leaning towards keeping what is in there.. I lose 1 passenger space, but I have enough people to fill the truck MAYBE twice a year.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say buckets with custom center console that hids a nice 12" or 15" inch sub.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way kmh1596, I still don't like you very much right now. I am so jealous of that interior.

sarge816

Reaction score
Thanks! Do you have pictures and details of the custom mats?
No pics yet, but here are the mats I used:

03 06 Ford Expedition Lincoln Navigator Floor Mats | eBay

The seller shipped quickly and the mats fit PERFECTLY. They are made for the truck with the captains chairs on the second row and look OEM. Covered the holes in the carpet from taking the middle seat out and now wife is happy with the babies separated and the oldest able to easily access the third row.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1